iPhone 5 display. Explain it to me like I'm 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sangdushi, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Sangdushi macrumors regular

Plan on picking it up regardless when it's in stores.

So yeah it's bigger and the pixel density is the same yada yada yada I get that.

I'm hearing mentions of it using new display technology (in cell?), being more power efficient, a layer being removed, and brighter. Can someone break down exactly what that all means and how the display is different? Is it similar to the display on the one x?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

What it means to you is that the blacks are blacker; the colors are more saturated; the screen is brighter; and it looks like you fingertip is resting on the pixels themselves, as opposed to a thin piece of glass over the pixels.

3. MasterTick macrumors 6502

They put the touch sensors in the display, so theoretically you'd get more accurate input, while cutting down on screen thickness.

4. phillypharm macrumors regular

pretty much what everyone has said. usually the display is separate from the touch panel. now they are integrated together so it reduces the thickness (two layers to one layer). that means light has less to travel through. this is not like the one x as the in cell tech is very new and i believe the iphone 5 along with a yet to be released lg phone are the only two to have these displays so far.

5. supervelous macrumors 6502

oooooohhh, it's so big and bright! And look at those pretty colors!! It looks even bigger than the last phone's screen, doesn't it?!! Would you like to play with it? Sharing is caring!

(I have a 7 year old, I don't remember how I talked to her when I was 5 - I have a bad memory, I could be way off)

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You are nuts if you think I'm buying this expensive phone for a 5 year old. Go to your room.

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Oooh.. pretty colors. I get it now. :)