Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Ugh, seriously after about an hour or so of use it won't light up now. I'm trying a restore now but this is most likely not a software issue. I can unlock the phone and hear it lock but I just can't see anything on the screen.

It'll probably be a month before I can get a replacement too.

conan-kun

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Ohio, USA
Someone cracked their display in another thread and they made a genius bar appointment and they had replacements. So, if the display is indeed dead, you should be able to get it replaced.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
No the display. I can hear it lock and slide to unlock but the screen is totally blank. The phone is on but the actual backlighting of the screen won't come on. I bought this through AT&T, should I take it to them or go to Apple?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
If you take it to AT&T, you can get a full exchange for a new one. If you go to Apple, you can only go through the Genius.

I would suggest AT&T.

khuypen

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Mine died also

My iphone display died after about 2 hours of charging. I pressed the home button to bring up siri and it faded to black to never return.

i restored it. I hard reset it to no avail. Heading to the Apple Store tonight to get it fixed hopefully.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
Take it directly to apple and walk up to the genius bar.

My iPhone 4 was defective back on day 1 of the launch and they gave me a new one on the spot even though I purchased it from AT&T. You may be able to get it exchanged at an AT&T store, but if they are sold out, you'd be SOL. Apple Stores have replacements in reserve.

My recommendation is to go to a less-travelled Apple Store if you can. I did and was in and out in 15 minutes.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I had a dead pixel and they swapped mine. It was a brown box but new phone, seeing as there aren't any returns yet. Lucky too because they had no 32gb black left for sale, but got a few for swaps.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
OKay, I'll try an AT&T store tomorrow morning but I made an appoint with the Genius bar for the afternoon. If I'm lucky enough to get it replaced at AT&T I'll cancel the genius appointment.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
It was a brown box but new phone, seeing as there aren't any returns yet. Lucky too because they had no 32gb black left for sale, but got a few for swaps.

If you go to the Genius, you would not get an original box. If you decide to exchange the phone in a week or two, you would not be allowed to exchange because the box (original) does not match the serial # (replacement phone).

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
Ugh, seriously after about an hour or so of use it won't light up now. I'm trying a restore now but this is most likely not a software issue. I can unlock the phone and hear it lock but I just can't see anything on the screen.

It'll probably be a month before I can get a replacement too.

Bummer

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
If you go to the Genius, you would not get an original box. If you decide to exchange the phone in a week or two, you would not be allowed to exchange because the box (original) does not match the serial # (replacement phone).

Yup, exactly as expected. That kind of thing does not bother me at all, I still have the Box my original phone was shipped in. And not being able to exchange is not true because they have both of my serial numbers on my account, and Applecare+ on it as well. I've had this issue in the past, and the guys at the genius bar go out of their way to help me out.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
It seems to be working yet again. I'm still going to AT&T although it's going to be a little harder to explain why I want to exchange it when it seems to be working at the moment. Also, I noticed it doesn't adjust the screen brightness based on ambient lighting when I turn that option on. I think there must be something with the sensor that might be causing this whole mess.

khuypen

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
got mine replaced

I went to the apple store and they replaced mine.

They did though take off the screen and check the connectors to see if everything was still connected correctly. They found it was and i still had no working screen, so they gave me a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.