Resolved iPhone 5 DO NOT use any old charger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmanto02, Sep 29, 2012.

1. tmanto02, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

The first time I charged my new iPhone 5 I used an old charger rather than unpacking the new one. I noticed after about 15 minutes that my phone was stinking hot.

I checked the charger and it said "iPod charger" as opposed to the iPhone 5 charger that is "5W charger".

Not to sure if this damaged it in anyway but it was scary how hot my phone was.

So I caution you not to make the same mistake.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

Either the phone is defective or the charger or the cable. Any USB charger should work because the phone doesn't need anything special. As long as it outputs 5v @ 500ma-2100ma it should be fine.

4. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Strange, I still have an old charger from my 4, as well as a TomTom block and of course my iPad block.

All charge my phone perfectly.

Perhaps your title should rather read "do not use a non-compatible charger".

I think most people would think to check the output of any charger to be used was 5v before just trying it.

Was it possible to even charge an iPhone 3GS or 4 with an old iPod charger? I'm sure mine from an original ipod mini didn't work for any of my phones.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Good point, but that would make thread pointless. Of course you shouldn't use a non-compatible charger! :p

6. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Just checked the charging brick and yeah it is a 5w, strange - must be a dodgy charger.

Cheers for your input guys

7. doc shivers macrumors member

Jesus christ, I'd never use anything but the correct charger that was built for that apple product. You probably did some damage to the internals of your phone by letting it get stinking hot. I'd try and get a trade in if I were you, just don't tell them what you did.

8. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

5w means nothing, you need to check its 5 volt and then have an amp rating between 500mA and 2100mA.

Wattage could run from 2.5watt to 10watt.

9. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

10. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Sorry i meant 5V, yeah it was a genuine Apple brick.

11. geoh0t macrumors member

Em

ANYTHING with a usb port on it can be used to charge your iPhone

If it is a 10 amp charger, it will still work perfectly fine - The phone only takes in the amount of amps in requires.. In an iPhones case it is 1A

Just the way Amps work. ALL usb ports are 5v standard