Resolved iPhone 5 DO NOT use any old charger

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
The first time I charged my new iPhone 5 I used an old charger rather than unpacking the new one. I noticed after about 15 minutes that my phone was stinking hot.

I checked the charger and it said "iPod charger" as opposed to the iPhone 5 charger that is "5W charger".

Not to sure if this damaged it in anyway but it was scary how hot my phone was.

So I caution you not to make the same mistake.

Last edited:

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
The first time I charged my new iPhone 5 I used an old charger rather than unpacking the new one. I noticed after about 15 minutes that my phone was stinking hot.

I checked the charger and it said "iPod charger" as opposed to the iPhone 5 charger that is "5W charger".

Not to sure if this damaged it in anyway but it was scary how hot my phone was.

So I caution you not to make the same mistake.
Either the phone is defective or the charger or the cable. Any USB charger should work because the phone doesn't need anything special. As long as it outputs 5v @ 500ma-2100ma it should be fine.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Strange, I still have an old charger from my 4, as well as a TomTom block and of course my iPad block.

All charge my phone perfectly.

Perhaps your title should rather read "do not use a non-compatible charger".

I think most people would think to check the output of any charger to be used was 5v before just trying it.

Was it possible to even charge an iPhone 3GS or 4 with an old iPod charger? I'm sure mine from an original ipod mini didn't work for any of my phones.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Just checked the charging brick and yeah it is a 5w, strange - must be a dodgy charger.

Cheers for your input guys

doc shivers

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
Jesus christ, I'd never use anything but the correct charger that was built for that apple product. You probably did some damage to the internals of your phone by letting it get stinking hot. I'd try and get a trade in if I were you, just don't tell them what you did.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Just checked the charging brick and yeah it is a 5w, strange - must be a dodgy charger.

Cheers for your input guys
5w means nothing, you need to check its 5 volt and then have an amp rating between 500mA and 2100mA.

Wattage could run from 2.5watt to 10watt.

geoh0t

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Em

ANYTHING with a usb port on it can be used to charge your iPhone

If it is a 10 amp charger, it will still work perfectly fine - The phone only takes in the amount of amps in requires.. In an iPhones case it is 1A

Just the way Amps work. ALL usb ports are 5v standard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.