iPhone 5 dock is REALLY unforgiving - unlikely to fit any case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by matttye, Sep 23, 2013.

1. matttye macrumors 601

Just to let any potential dock buyers know that the iPhone 5(s) dock is really unforgiving. I have a 0.3mm thick case and it won't fit in the dock. There's barely any wiggle room and the lightning connector is positioned so that the phone can only just squeeze in at the right angle. A slight addition to the back side of the phone causes it not to fit.

I do love the dock though, missed having one before!

2. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

3. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Nice dock.....is the lightning connector on it thin and long enough to fit the Apple leather case?

4. Donia330i macrumors regular

The naked phone barely fits. I have an invisible shield installed and it was super tight. It started to pull the clear protector off at the bottom. You would think there would be enough room for some screen protectors...

5. gcrr macrumors regular

The HiRise? It docks with the OtterBox Defender on it, so I'm pretty positive it'll work for the leather iPhone case. It's designed to dock the phone with a variety of cases with the clips provided.

6. HiRisk macrumors 6502

7. gcrr macrumors regular

They only promise compatibility with Apple Lightning cables. You can't be 100% sure with third party because of the clips. Isn't Apple blocking them now, anyways?

8. HiRisk macrumors 6502

Apple does certify third party cables through their MFi (Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad) licensing program. Amazon sells a few cables including one themselves which is supposedly MFi certified.

9. gcrr macrumors regular

I was reading a review and they said that a third party MFi-certified Lightning cable they had didn't work because it was too wide for the clips.

10. HiRisk macrumors 6502

For the clips? What clips?

11. nioted macrumors regular

watch the installation video and you'll see the clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrixF661xJA

----------

I have the dock, its pretty damn cool. Its adjustable to just about any kind of case expect for the lifeproof fre case since there is a cover for the lightning port. I actually bought a 3rd party non certified cable that's 10 feet long. Visibly it looks the same size as apple cable but when I tried to install it, I had to really force it in there unlike the official apple cable. My suggestion if you want to get a longer cable just buy a USB extender male to female. I'm really loving this dock, its beautiful and really shows off the iPhone 5S.

12. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

This is my plan, I ordered one and will be using the apple cable with a cheap usb extension cable. I get the length I need and don't have to worry about a 3rd party cable.

13. og3og macrumors member

og3og

Apple now sells 2m lightning cables, so roughly 6.5 feet long. Picked one up at an Apple store in NJ on Friday night for $29.99.

14. gcrr macrumors regular

Does it work with IOS7?

15. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

It's an apple cable, of course it works.

16. og3og macrumors member

og3og

I haven't actually used it yet, but it's made by Apple, so I wouldn't see why it won't.

17. HiRisk macrumors 6502

I was answering your original question which was this:

18. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

19. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

This has usually been the case, they are "precision crafted" for the iphone 5. I have really loved my twelve south hi rise, it is a great dock, the only downside is that it is a little pricy and doesn't come with a cable. Other than that, it is fun to assemble and fits great even with cases. It works with ipads as well.

20. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

21. terzinator macrumors 6502

22. ABC5S macrumors 68040

23. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Got my hi rise along with my 5s this morning and have to say it's an amazing dock. I'll do pics when I get home tonight if anyone is interested (sadly sans the red leather case, it won't be delivered til Friday)

24. henryonapple macrumors 6502