iPhone 5 E/4G Service Bug?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacVT, Oct 12, 2012.

1. MacVT macrumors newbie

I work in a spot where I don't get good service. It's basically a struggle just to send and receive a text, say nothing about trying check FB or browse the web.

On one side of the breakroom near the windows you get 4G.

When I leave my desk to go to the cell service hot spot in the break room I almost always have to restart my phone before it will acknowledge the 4G service.

For example, it will show 4 bars of Edge, yet when I go to browse the web, the activity circle just spins and spins then the "E" for edge disappears to show a hollow circle, followed by 1 bar of Edge then the cycle starts up again, continuing for literally over half an hour if I don't restart the phone.

At first I chalked it up to bad service in that spot, but I've noticed the same thing happening in different parts of town that I know have full 4G service. I'd be somewhere with no service or very low service, then a few minutes later in a good coverage area the phone won't recognize the 4G service until I restart it.

I know this is a minor issue, but it is inconvenient. Anyone else having this problem or is it just me? I have AppleCare+, should I make a trip to the closest Apple Store which is a few hours away?

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

You need someone else with a IP5 to confirm or demonstrate you phone is bad.

Or go to the Apple store and tell them your having reception issues.

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I have noticed that the iPhone 5 is very picky about the signal it gets. I get LTE in my office, but since I am high up it isn't consistent (like it would be on the ground floor outside). I too see my device go to no service and stay there until I reboot or reset network settings. My 4S never had that much of a problem keeping a signal even with iOS 6.

4. burtonfamily101 macrumors newbie

My phone does kind of the same issue. I have LTE/wifi everywhere else I go in my area besides my work. For some reason its only 4G not LTE. But every morning I get to work I have to reset network settings or turn air plane mode on and off. for it to see my 4G. But my 4g will only stay connected for about 20mins before I have to do it again..Unless I have pandora or somthing use data the entire time.

After doing an hour online chat with AT&T this morning I discovered that if I leave my LTE disabled at work it stays connected, the whole day. What network are you using? This issues seems to be the same as it was when the iphone3G came out. It has issues switching to 3G back to 2G if anyone remembers that.

The issue is just odd that when it goes from 4G to LTE it never has problems but LTE to 4G does

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I usually toggle with cellular on/off while having the LTE checked. it'll eventually get into LTE mode

6. MacVT thread starter macrumors newbie

I have AT&T as well. I'll have to try that airplane mode on/off trick Monday.