[iPhone 5] Erratic Notification Behaviour

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chris_c81, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Chris_c81 macrumors member

Not seen much coverage of this issue I'm having so wondering if it's just me!?

Notifications for native apps seem to be working OK it's third party apps which I'm having problems with, in particular erratic app badge notifications. I'll often get the banner and/or notification centre one but the badge will not display despite being enabled in notification settings.

Is it worth trying a complete reset? Set up as new iPhone? Or is this a known issue with ios 6?

2. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

I had this issue with a weather app. Turns out I didn't have the "city" selected properly in the application itself and thats why it wasnt displaying the badge for the current weather. I don't think it's your phone. Just play around with all of the settings, and maybe worst case scenerio reset your phone settings. I wouldn't be starting from scratch though. The badges will show up, eventually.

3. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

Once I got all my settings straight I have had no problems.

4. tvith macrumors member

side question:

what's the difference between a badge and a notification? I saw it in the phone and I can't understand what the difference is.

5. Chris_c81 thread starter macrumors member

Think I'll try a settings reset then, thanks.

The badge notification is the little number in a red circle icon you see on the top left of an app icon.

6. stock28 macrumors member

What he said ^. Notification will give you a banner on the top or a pop up and sound or vibrate if that is turned on. Badge is just the the number on the app when you turn on the screen.

7. lookn4wifi macrumors regular

lookn4wifi

I've noticed some 3rd party app notifications are sporadic. Just seems like some general inconsistencies.