iPhone 5 Exclusive - Power Nap?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by khmaikiew, Sep 11, 2012.

1. khmaikiew macrumors member

This is fitting here, but I guess this could also be in the iOS6 section of the forum.

It hasn't been discussed, but this feature, just like the retina display MacBook Pro is POWER NAP. Although it would be done differently. I would assume it's possible to implement easily into iOS and being as the iPhone is the new gotta have, Apple would make it exclusive to it's new device.

For those who don't know what POWER NAP is: It was Apple's "power-saving" option that allowed updates and mail and messages to be fetched and updated automatically. Sure the phone is on standby and we have push notification, but wouldn't it be interesting to implement POWER NAP as part of the DO NOT DISTURB feature being touted by Apple in iOS6.

Just a thought.

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Don't all phones already have a "Power Nap" function similar to the Mountain Lion? That's how they check for incoming calls and texts without eating through the battery.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Gee ya think? Any other nuggets of wisdom?

-"my iphone 4 still works"
    -"Wait for tomorrow."

4. irDigital0l Guest

As long as people keep on posting iPhone 5 rumors...thats a fair saying.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Doesn't iOS 6 have a Do Not Disturb feature anyway? Why would a cell phone need power nap?

6. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Its pretty much already implemented. You push the power nap button; henceforth known as the "lock button" and voila!! You phone will nap and push to you any messages and the like. If DND is on it won't even light the screen!

/sarcasm. But yeah...a little pointless sorry :confused:

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

That's what I thought. How else do all of these push notifications get delivered while the phone is in standby? I thought power nap derived from iOS, am I wrong?

8. Purant macrumors 6502

The iPhone (and... most phones), already function in a "Power Nap" fashion. The difference here is, is that it's called standby mode (no cool marketing term for it, and it's everywhere already)... I'm not sure what the OP wants it to be.

And you're not wrong, Power Nap is, at the very least, inspired by smartphones.

9. M87 macrumors 65816

And this would be different from normal phone behavior how?

10. kannesss macrumors 6502a

11. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone already has this. This is one of the "back to mac" features that was taken from the iPhone and added to OS X.

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Just another spin job, by assigning it a catchy name. Nothing new, exciting or significant.

13. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

and how is your iphone not doing these things already?