iphone 5 factory unlock question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drich290195, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Drich290195 macrumors 6502

Drich290195

i had my carrier factory unlock my iphone 5. I restored through itunes and got the congratulations screen. If i ota update does this remove the lock or do i have to update through itunes so it checks the database and removes the lock everytime i do a update if you get what i mean. Trying to decide weather to ota or do through iTunes. Cheers hope it makes sense.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can update any way you want.
    It will never lock again, it's carrier unlocked now.

3. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

cool i thought that it was locked and when restored with new firmware locked again then itunes unlocked it again if that makes sense. Is that not how it works thats why i was thinking i had to plug in itunes to do it as the ota would lock it and it needed to be unlocked again am i way of the mark.

On a side note do unlocked factory iphones give the congratulations your unlocked screen after a software update in iTunes.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you will never have any problems no matter how you restore.
    An unlocked iPhone will never lock again no matter what you do.
    Sometimes the congrats message won't show up but that doesn't mean it's not unlocked still.
    On factory unlocked bought iPhones you don't see that message at all.
    On carrier unlocked you will see it and sometimes you won't.

5. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

cheers buddy sorry for my bone questions how come you see the congrats one on a carrier unlocked , is that cause it has to reunlock every time or is it once unlocked it stays unlocked. How does the process work what do they change on the phone to unlock it. Just trying to get my head round it i like to understand things thanks for your time.