iPhone 5 For 4S Users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touchmanic, Sep 3, 2012.

1. touchmanic macrumors member

Does anyone have any info as to whether 4S users (who bought phone as soon as it came out) will be eligible for the iPhone 5?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    20 months after your last upgrade you can get a full discount again.

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You'll have to sit it out like the iPhone 4 users when the iPhone 4S came out. You're not special.

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

5. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I'm special.

6. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

Nope. You'll have to wait 20 months after you bought the 4S to get the full upgrade. If you cant wait you have to pay like $200 extra + whatever the iphone costs with a 2 year contract.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

$250 extra for an early upgrade now.;)

8. touchmanic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to the helpful ones. To the unhelpful ones, long may you fester in a perpetual state of upgrade limbo.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You'll have to wait until the announcement. In the past AT&T has moved up our upgrade dates, but that was when AT&T had exclusivity and apple made a deal with them. Who knows if that will be the case this year.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, like 10 times a day:D
    Wait till the new iphone is announced.
    Then the crying and whining will explode about AT&T or verizon is screwing everyone and its not fair not letting me get the new iphone for $199:D

11. irDigital0l Guest

If you have a 2 year contract, you will need to finish it.

iPhone 4S - Oct 2011

So that would be Oct 2013.

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wrong.

Contract is for 24 months, but you can upgrade with a new contract pricing every 20 months. (For AT&T)

It's how they get you to renew your contract before it expires and you actually have an option to think about switching.

13. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

For the 103rd time, when you sign a two year contract you must have the phone for two years, in fact the companies are so nice they let you wait only 20 months.

So NO you cannot get the phone because you signed a TWO YEAR contract.

Do you know how long two years are? When did you get your last phone? One year ago? Well that sucks you have to wait another year.

It astounds me how people just dont understand this.

If you want to avoid you can pay an early termination fee of about $250 and then pay $200 for the subsidized phone. After that you again have to wait two more years or pay another early termination fee..

14. x986 macrumors regular

This just proves it.

Half the people are below average in intelligence. ;)

15. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

Yea when I bought my 4s att moved my upgrade eligibility up, I was still way out and didn't expect to get a full discount.

If Att gives me the early upgrade again with no catches (other than the contract extension) I'll probably pick up the 5 if there is more features than just a longer screen, and new headphones.

16. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Paying the early termination fee and buying the new phone with full subsidy will cost you less than paying full price.

So that is already better. My friend told a manager at AT&T that he could either move up his upgrade and let him buy the iPhone 4S or he would pay the early termination fee and go to verizon. The manager moved up his upgrade. This wont work all the time I am sure, but its worth a try.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Just check your eligibility. You may be eligible as the 20-month wait is not set in stone (to the horror of all the by-the-book types on here). My wife and have 4S's and we are eligible now for an upgrade. Whether this is an AT&T screw-up is open to speculation.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I bought a 4S on launch day and so far with AT&T I see no sign of early eligibility for an upgrade on my account.

19. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

I bought the 4S at launch. My upgrade status on AT&T's website states "Early iPhone Discount", meaning essentially that I can upgrade if I want, but I'll pay an extra $250 on top of the fully subsidized price. Honestly, I didn't expect anything better.

20. honeygirl macrumors member

maybe many people are willing to buy iphone 4s, because it's cheap now. however, we have to wait for a long time about iphone 5.:(

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Upgrade eligibility has no bearing on me. To use well worn Apple Slogan...

"This Changes Everything"

Using the same design three years running is blatant profit taking.

My Apple Stock Portfolio Thanks You...

But despite my 20+ yr loyalty, I'm not about to buy the upcoming iPhone.

22. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Of course you will be eligible--anyone can get the new phone.

Now the price you're going to pay, that's a whole different story...;)

23. falterego, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

This only works when changing carriers. To get "New customer" pricing you have to have not had service with the carrier for some amount of time, usually varying from 30-90 days, sometimes as much as 120-160.

That being said, AT&T and Verizon both currently have higher ETFs. AT&T currently has an ETF policy of:
    Verizon is the same deal, only it starts at $350 instead of $325.

So....if you bought the 4s in October 2011, you'd have about 11 months off, so $110 off the $325 or $350 starting price. That means a minimum ETF of $225 for AT&T and $240 for Verizon.

If you upgraded later, like say January, you'd only have about 8 months done, so you're looking at $245 for AT&T or $270 for Verizon. Plus the $199 for the new phone on a new carrier, plus tax on the original $649 price (in LA 8.25%) and you're looking at 245+199+53=497. More if you go for something above the starting model. That also doesn't take into account the plan increase you would most likely incur when setting up new service on another carrier. It's been determined that $70 is the lowest on Verizon. I do have a friend who has been grandfathered for some time on AT&T and pays $55 for his iPhone, meaning $15 more per month. After 1 year that's another $180 paid on top of the $497 ETF/new phone.

24. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

Well, Im Verizon and I bought a 4s in Dec 2011. My account says Im eligible Dec 2012. I plan on upgrading to the 5 then.
    It says nothing about, "You are eligible Dec 2012, but not for iPhone"

But even with the $175 ETF, and $199 for phone, its better than $800.
    Plus Id happily do it to get my wife off the basic phones. She hates it. She loves my 4s, so why not. I plan to ditch the Unlimited to go shared anyway
    Ill save $10/month and stop getting throttled

25. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You could always add a line to your account. If you already have a family plan, it's only $10 more a month. If you have a single line, it would be $15 more a month coming from the cheapest single plan to cheapest family plan.