iPhone 5 for Taiwan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stickyfingers85, Oct 29, 2012.

1. stickyfingers85 macrumors regular

Hello

I'm planning on buying an iPhone 5 for my girlfriend for Christmas.

I'm in France and UK but my gf lives in Taiwan. The iPhone 5 isn't available in Taiwan yet.

I was wondering what the best option would be to buy it for her? If i buy one in France, or in the UK, from an Apple Store, will it work OK in Taiwan on there networks?

I'm also going to Hong Kong before Christmas, so i could also buy it there if its any better for price and/or network issues

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

UK/FR version would work in Taiwan, but as for the prices it will hurt your wallet! I say just wait till you get to Hong Kong, and buy it from the grey market! (It could be cheaper there compare to your currency)

Your only way to get an iPhone 5 in Hong Kong unless you have someone with an address and ID resident so they can order it from the apple.com/hk store.

There is no such thing as walk in process and buy at any apple hong kong store.
    Bonne chance mec!

3. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

It depends on several factors. If you are indeed intending to purchase an iPhone 5 in France or UK, make sure it is carrier-UNLOCKED to be able to work on Taiwan networks. Also, the iPhone 5 only uses nano-sim, so keep that in mind when you are helping her change the SIM card. You can try to cut it by yourself after consulting some websites with proper instructions.

Another way will be to wait for the iPhone 5 to debut in Taiwan, hopefully before Christmas according to your schedule. I do not stay in Taiwan so I'm unable to provide any info on that part. Buying the 5 in Taiwan together with contract when it comes out will mean that it will be cheaper as opposed to you buying it unlocked & paying the full cost. The telcos there will also have nano-sim in supply by then too.

Hope this helps!

4. stickyfingers85 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much for the advice

Do you know if they have nano sims available in Taiwan yet? Otherwise i'd just have to take the risk of cutting her microsim down to a nano myself

I just saw the lotto system for HK on the website. Do i have to be a HK resident to do this? I was tempted to just put in my passport number for the resident ID. It doesn't look like you have to pay in advance, so could just take my chances and see what the shop staff say

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

You will not be able to do that! Otherwise millions of main land people would have done, that just to get the latest greatest Apple product for main land China before it is release there lol.

Anyways, nano sim cutters are like $6 on ebay if you want to do it the easy way, or ask your Gf if any of the taiwanese carriers have nano sim yet! I heard the iphone 5 will be available there on nov 2nd!

6. stickyfingers85 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, you are right, sorry!

I'll wait until mid Nov to see if it gets released in Taiwan, otherwise i'll just buy it in UK as its cheaper than France

Thanks again for the help