Iphone 5 from Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by serkan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Hey guys ;

I would like to ask some questions.I live in Turkey and our GSM frequency is 900-1800 and I would like to buy myself and Iphone. My friend will go to Buffalo , USA in a month and he will bring one for me as well.He said he will go to Canada and buy the unlocked one for us to work in here.So there is only one model in Canada and does it work for us ? Can we purchase it from the Canada Apple Store ? Or rather than going to Canada is it possible to buy it from and At&t store in US for unlocked and work in our GSM frequency ?

Hope I can get some answers. :D

Thanx guys....

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hey mate,
    You'll find a Canadian iPhone will operate on 900-1800mHz frequencies (GSM). Obtain a NanoSim card and you should be fine.

3. Techs macrumors newbie

The only place to get the unlocked iphone 5 in Canada is from apple.ca . They are not sold unlocked in the apple store. You can try kijiji or craigslist , but you'll be paying a premium for it.

4. serkan thread starter macrumors 6502

serkan

what about the store pickup ? Can we go and buy it from store ? You guys think there will be a stock there ? And last question : Can I replace an pick up reservation so that my friend can go pick up when he travels there like they do in states ?

5. ccwestcliff macrumors member

Well, you can now purchase an iPhone 5 in a Canadian Apple Store but this is on a first-come, first-served basis (http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/iphone/). If your friend is going to Buffalo his best bet might be to get a car and try the stores in Toronto as it is only a 1.5hrs drive from the border.

And as mentioned, an iPhone 5 bought here should work on GSM / 3G with no problem but LTE is unlikely to work. In Canada you will get this model:
    GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17).

The only important thing is to buy from an Apple Store as phones bought from carriers (like Rogers, Bell or Telus) or from stores like Wirelesswave might be SIM-locked.

Good luck!

6. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I was in Toronto last week and went to the Eaton Mall Apple Store. They would not sell me a no commitment iPhone 5 at the retail store. They said all iPhone 5s are sold in store have to be activated with a contract. They told me if I want to get an unlocked i5 I'd have to order from the Apple website.

7. Techs macrumors newbie

You could've found one on Craigslist or kijiji Toronto .

8. ccwestcliff macrumors member

Hmmm, interesting. I went by the website today and there it appears it is possible to buy one outright, not sure if they changed the rules just shortly?! Anyway, for someone coming from Turkey it is still a big effort I suppose.

9. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Buy it outright on the Apple website or do you mean buy it outright from the retail store?

10. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Currently in Canada, you can only buy an unlocked iPhone from the apple website. But according to http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-5-2/rumour-unlocked-iphone-5-sales-to-hit-apple-stores-in-late-november/ the stores will be able to sell the unlocked one in late November. So if you don't have a Canadian mailing address it will be difficult to get one before then. Kijiji may be your only option, but you will actually pay more for an unlocked iPhone on kijiji than direct from Apple, because they are so hard to get atm (ship date is 4 weeks from the Apple website)