iPhone 5 front plate not flush with enclosure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iParis, Sep 26, 2012.

1. iParis, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

A minute ago I noticed that when I tap the screen from the center of the device up it makes a little popping noise, like it's moving a little bit. When looking at it from the side I can tell the bottom left is more flush than the top and the right is way more flush than the rest of it. Mine is in really good condition with no scruffs out of box or other issues. Anyone else see anything like this? Also, anyone here actually gotten their iPhone replaced already? Oh, and if I take it in by October 5th (end of the two week return period) and attempt a full exchange for a new one as oppose to a refurb model, would I be able do that and just wait for them to get new ones in while still using my current iPhone 5 in the mean time? I know I just posted an iPhone thread already, but that was different issue and this current one arrose after it was posted already. I'm not trying to b*tch and I know it's not urgent, I just don't want it to get worse.

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

My front plate doesn't seem flush either.

If I swipe my thumb from right to left, my thumbs catches the inside of the metal band. Swiping left to right, however, feels perfect.

This is my 2nd phone already. I exchanged an out-of-box dented one.

Debating what to do. It's certainly noticeable, but I don't know if it's "bad" or not "within spec" or what have you. But it's definitely bugging me.

3. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Does yours' also make a noise in certain places? As I said, mine did, but it stopped and started doing it a couple minutes later and has again stopped doing it. Even though It doesn't make a noise anymore I can still see the display move anywhere I push down on it, especially where it's really bad at the top right. Though I can still see the flaw, I don't know if that will me enough for Apple to replace it without being able to replicate the problem more. Oh hell, I could nick the side and claim it was there out of box.

EDIT: How long after you had it was your first one exchanged? And was it new?

4. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Wait a second. I'm still within the 14 day return period so unless I threw it at a wall or took it for a swim, they have to replace it.

5. GarryBacon macrumors regular

Had the exact same issue. Been replaced and this is now doing the same. Apple gave me £30 off the online store plus a new handset etc. but I have just emailed back to say that this one is doing it to. I will let you know what happens. Really annoying!! Everyone I show it to is like that's nothing but when you pay so much, why should I have a damaged unit. They where very polite. No appointment needed just walked in and waited to be seen swapped no questions asked.

6. iParis, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Agreed. It might be a small concern, but we still payed the same amount as other people without this problem. Did you do this over the phone or at an Apple Store and was it still making the popping noise? I'm going to go to my local Apple Store here in a couple hours and we'll see what happens. If they replace phones for niches then they shouldn't have a problem replacing it for this, especially since this has potential to negatively effect the device if not taken care of.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

No clicking or popping sound. But I do have a slight camera lens rattle going on.

I exchange the Sunday after launch. Got a white box refurb - but this early in the game I assume its just new.

8. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Oh, I know, Just wondering if I should bring everything, box, manual, earpods, usb cord, etc. It makes sense they're doing it that way though, saves them packaging and dealing with the other accessories cost. Oddly enough, I don't have the camera lens rattle, but have the power button rattle. Not too sure how common that is.

9. millerhifi macrumors regular

My screen was loose from the top left corner. You could pinch the corner and hear it click as it flexed in and out. Had it replaced yesterday at the Apple store, no questions asked.
    You don't need to bring everything in. They will replace the phone only.
    This one is flawless.

Good luck!

10. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I figured it out! So the reason you guys got swap models was because they didn't have any retail box models in stock. If they do have it then you don't even need a genius bar appointment. I'm sure if you requested they would have given you a retail one, but waiting for one to come into stock is your decision. I was turned around due to lack retail stock of available appointments. I made one for this Saturday, but am considering showing up tomorrow or Saturday morning to see if they have any retail stock. Eh, something tells me I should probably just go with a swap model, those processes tend to be easy anyway and will be less of a big deal to examine for marking before accepting.

11. millerhifi macrumors regular

They were out of the white box replacements for my particular model, which worked in my favor. They simply transferred one from new stock and did the exchange against new stock. :)

12. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Wow! You got really lucky! The odds of them being out of swap stock but not retail stock are very low! Since you did the full exchange did you have to have you box, manual, lighting cable, etc, etc? Or did they just swap out the phone?

13. millerhifi macrumors regular

Yes, guess it was my lucky day.
    No, I didn't have anything with me at all accept the phone and of course that's all they replaced. They put my old one in the new ones box with all the accessories and off she went to the back.