iPhone 5 "-Gates": Separating the Real from the BS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KieranDotW, Oct 12, 2012.

1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Hi, so my Dad's been thinking of picking up a iP5 but he's having second thoughts seeing all these supposed problems going around on the news -- scuff-gate, purple haze-gate, now bend-gate (I'm assuming you all know what I'm talking about). Sooo, because I have little to no experience with the iP5 in person and just gokng by word-of-mouth, I'm a little worried too. Would anyone care to tell me which of these "horror stories" I've been seeing are actually worth worrying about? Thanks!

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Technically they are all worth worrying about however unlikely they are to be.

3. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Once you just get the phone and enjoy it and if you don't like can't return it within the time allowed. Apple has sold over 5 million iPhones and you're only seeing a fraction of people complaining here on this forum. The iPhone is still light years ahead of any other phone or device out there so my feeling is just get it you enjoy it and you take it from there

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If possible, I'd recommend waiting 2-3 months for the bugs to shake out. In the past there have been issues with iPhones and Apple fans dismissed those reports as isolated incidents, only to have Apple finally and formally acknowledge that the problem existed. But some reported problems were not legitimate. Only the passage of time helps to determine which is which.

5. darster Suspended

Or you can get an iphone like I did. Flawless-gate.

6. B's iPhone macrumors member

B's iPhone

"Gate" is an overblown internet term. People need to give up the bs.
    If for some reason someone gets a phone with issues there's no better
    customer service than what you'll get from Apple. I own Samsung tv's, (have for years)
    windows computers (built and bought) and apple iphones. No brand loyalty here, just speaking from
    experience. I've had each iPhone since the beginning and have had nothing but great customer service. If something goes wrong or they give you a phone with
    issues they'll fix it. If you're looking for an iPhone buy one, if its defective bring it to apples attention and I guarantee they'll take care of you.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Well, if B's iPhone is going to guarantee it then I'd say go for it! What could possibly go wrong?! :D

8. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I do not doubt that these issues exist. However, I have not experienced any of the said nor do I know of anyone, whom is experiencing any of the said.

9. B's iPhone macrumors member

B's iPhone

Funny.
    I might have been a little bit too literal but I stand by that.
    I don't doubt apple standing behind their products. No mass produced product
    is going to please 100% of the population, from what I've seen they'll take care of their customers if they're not pleased though.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Wait for the 5S. Comes with many fewer gates.

11. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Hahaha . . . I like that way you put that. Actually, the iP5 is my second iPhone. The original iPhone being my first one. Having watched all of the releases throughout these 5+ years, my next iPhone will a so called S series, assuming that Apple continues in the same manner.

12. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Get the iPhone 5. Don't let these forums put fear into you. A lot of it is drama and some people actually want to be the first one to identify some type of "gate" because they seek attention.

Most people, myself included, that have perfect iPhone 5s don't come here and post a new thread saying how perfect the iPhone 5 they just received is. No reason too.

1. Purple Gate exists on all camera phones and its truly not a flaw. All my pics are flawless. It probably helps that I don't aim at the Sun for pics.
    2. Scuff gate......Check your phone when you buy it.....take care of it after you buy it.
    3. Bent-Gate....I call BS.

Get off these forums and go live life! :) :apple:

13. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Or the 6s all new chip, more ram, better camera and no home button.

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

So far the issue I've had that us truly worth worrying about is how much data it is using!! I am using my phone no differently and have gone thru 3gb in a week!!! In used to using 5gb in a month! Something is wrong!

15. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I've had my iphone 5 since launch day and it has none of the problems people are posting about, no scuffs, no image artefacts that aren't the same as any other phone camera has, it has never spontaneously bent just by holding or looking at it. It just looks and works perfectly.

But I am a little worried, I heard about the newest problem, it's called Asteroid-Gate, supposedly there is an asteroid heading towards Earth, if it was to land on me or my iphone I'm worried it might scuff the phone, it might even cause the phone to bend :rolleyes:.

16. B's iPhone macrumors member

B's iPhone

You mean your phone hasn't just bent over in your hand?
    Unpossible.

17. acidrain79 macrumors member

I got my 5 the day it come out. It was amazing. When I got home I realized there was a small dent on the bezel from the factory. Was perfect otherwise. But I'm a little OCD so I made an appt with the Apple store, brought it in and they switched it out. I then got another perfect iPhone 5, minus the dent!!!!

So I'm not saying people haven't had issues with their iPhone 5's but I don't think it's as big as what the Internet is making it out to be. And tho I had a small issue with mine it was easily corrected by Apple. So I would get one and don't worry about the issues people are having unless u urself have one. And if u do, Apple will take care of it