IPhone 5: Give me a bigger screen and i'll be a happy camper

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dolorian, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I love the design of the iPhone 4/S, always have since the first real leaks came out. So if Apple were to keep this design for the new iPhone it would not really bother me. I mean I would definitely welcome a change in the design but it is not a must for me.

What I do want at this point is a bigger screen on my phone. Not just one that is elongated while keeping the same width but one that is bigger on both sides. Devices like the SIII, Galaxy Nexus and the HTC One X have really raised the bar imo with their large and beautiful screens and using them really makes doing anything on them much better than in the small screen of the iPhone 4/S.

The new iPhone will be faster, have great battery life, a better camera, better chips, etc. All that stuff is a given and at this point not much of a factor for me to get it. A bigger screen however, even if it is 4.5 inches, would definitely win me over.

I really hope the success and positive reception of the SIII, Nexus and HTC One has nudged Apple the right way and that they are prepared to offer an iPhone with a bigger screen even if they decide to keep the current size as well.

If they unveil something like a 4.5 inch iPhone this Septemer, I would be making my reservation for it before Tim Cook is done with his keynote :)

If not, well...it is off to another Galaxy I guess.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I don't see apple doing anything over 4" for a while. That seems to be the perfect medium for people who still like the smaller screen and people who want a little bigger....4.2" tops!

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

4.5 isn't happening.

4" is the rumor. Perhaps in a generation or two the iPhone will setting in to a larger than 4" size.

4. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Well if the rumours are true, longphone ftw.

I think you will just have to live with it for a while. It doesn't look like like they are in a hurry to give us anything over 4". LOL! That just seems funny when you read it!!:D

5. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

It needs to be taller and wider. But here on MR allegedly everyone uses their phones in landscape mode so it doesn't matter about width :eek:

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

you mean portrait mode? Landscape people would want wider....portrait...not so much. I'm in the portrait crowd so wide doesn't matter

7. lazard macrumors 65816

4.3" would be ideal. Why bother upgrading from a 4S to get an elongated 4S.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

LTE alone is worth it to me

9. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Nope, apparently "landscapers" just want taller so then it becomes wider when you turn it if that makes sense? They don't want wider when the phone is standing up. iPhone needs to be 4.3-4.5in to get back the #1 ranking from the S3 imo, 4in just doesn't really make sense.

10. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

There was an article last year, I can't find anymore, but it said that Apple made a major Billion $ deal with LG & Sharp to produce 4.3" screens for a future Apple product.

I will not be shocked one bit, if we do indeed see 4.3" on the iPhone5, that will still look like a small screen compared to all Android phones, with the going size now being 4.8", an the upcoming Galaxy Note 2 at 5.5", and next Nexus said to be going close to 5" screen.

11. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Yes but as it is, using the iPhone in landscape mode to, say, write an email or forum post, is ridiculous. The keyboard basically covers the whole screen and with the top toolbar you can see only two lines of what you are writting. Selecting text in this mode is very tedious too. Making the iPhone taller would not make a difference and will just give you a wider keyboard, would not give you more screen realstate. Doing the same in portrait mode is not that bad but in both cases a bigger screen would make it much better.

I agree, a taller 4inch iPhone that keeps the same width simply won't hold a candle to the S3 as far as screen realstate goes. But that said, the iPhone doesn't has to be 4.8inch to "dethrone" the S3. If they make it 4.5inch, I think that it would be the sweet spot for it to gain the current adventages of the S3 while at the same time making the S3 feel "too big" by comparision.

12. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I feel like Apple is trying their best not to make the from factor any larger. They may feel like 4 in is as large as they can go to still keep the phone size reasonable. This is not necessarily my opinion though and just a guess as to Apple's thoughts.

Making the phone wider will definitely impact using the keyboard with one hand. I experienced that on my galaxy nexus.

13. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Well if the Galaxy Nexus 2 ends up being 5" I would not get it, that is just too big imo for a smarthphone. The SIII at 4.8 is already a tad big, but still feels good to use, I think the Nexus at 4.6 is ideal but 5" is just overkill.

A 4.3 iPhone would be a tad small by comparission but a great improvement over the current iPhone.

14. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

4.3" screen with 3:2 aspect ratio FTW

15. OceanView macrumors 65816

If the rumors are true and the next phone is just the elongated 4" screen, then it would be 2 years before another form factor change.

To me it would be stupid of Apple to loose 2 years of sales from disappointed buyers. Yes there will be the fanboys still buying it but for people that have the blinders off and are able to see the value from having a larger screen, they will be leaving the iphone.

16. k3roro macrumors 6502

I don't think it's super hard to increase the size of the phone. They must not be doing it for a reason. The only reason I can come up with is that there are more people that prefer 4 inch as opposed to 4+.

17. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I figured that they didnt want to increase the size due to apps and developers, to keep their one size one resolution thing going.

18. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/02/sharp-president-confirms-shipments-of-displays-for-new-iphone-this-month/

You'll get a 4 inch screen.

19. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Nope, I won't :)

20. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

This x1000000

I drew out a 4.3" 3:2 screen last week, and it would be absolutely perfect. In fact, apple would only need to make the overall width of the phone slightly wider. The 4.3" screen could fit in the current iPhones height specs if they get rid of the huge black bezels. Or at the very worst make the phone slightly taller as well.

Boom. It's solved.

F this only taller phone. It looks disproportional and unappealing

21. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

You will. I'm not saying no more.

22. lazard macrumors 65816

I'll be getting a 4.8" screen

23. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

This was a iPhone thread so that's what I was referring too! Never mind.

24. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

screen size aside, these leaks are not anywhere near the same design as the 4/4S.

Different back, different band, different port, different speakers, something definitely different about that camera (the physical size), headphone jack moved (not really significant but still totally different from 4S).

And then yeah, the screen will be bigger.

The only thing staying the same is that god awful home button, and with it that god awfully huge bezel.

25. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Yeah I know, was just messing around with you :). But yeah, going by the rumors for the new iPhone and what we know about iOS 6 Im nearly sold on the Galaxy SIII.

----------

The bezel is sacred, thou shalt not bash the bezel!