iPhone 5 (GSM) Slow Wi-Fi With LTE On

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VacTacks11, Oct 2, 2012.

1. VacTacks11 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I've confirmed that having LTE on results in significant Wi-Fi speed reductions. I've attached 2 Speed Test to prove it.

In the first image I'm 1 floor from my router (newest 2 TB Apple Time Capsule). With LTE on, over Wi-Fi, I got 3.66 Mpbs down / 2.90 Mpbs up. With LTE off, over Wi-Fi, I got 27.67 Mbps down / 2.90 up.

In the second image I'm about 30 feet from my router. With LTE on, over Wi-Fi, I got 13.43 Mpbs down / 3.03 Mbps up. With LTE off, over Wi-Fi, I got 27.67 Mpbs down / 2.90 Mbps up.

Clearly there's something to this. I know others have experienced slow Wi-Fi issues with their iPhone 5's. Hoping they can come in here and try what I've tried. See if there's not a greater issue here.

I'm on Telus Mobility, and I have flashed the firmware (I use the Option-Restore method in iTunes to do so).

Attached Files:

2. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Thanks, I'll see what I get when I get home in the morning. I am not in an LTE area at home, but have LTE left on as a number of areas I travel have it. I get adequate speeds on wifi, but far from the full speed of the connection as I'd expect

3. VacTacks11 thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to say that I've confirmed this on both the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz bands on my 2 TB Time Capsule.

LTE on basically cuts my Wi-Fi download speed by half.

OF COURSE when I take my iPhone to the Apple store (as I did today), I actually got faster Wi-Fi when connected to LTE.

The Genius recommended I reset the Network Settings, which I did. No help.

I dunno. I guess I'll have to download the 'old' Airport Utility to access the Time Capsule's more advanced settings.