iPhone 5 hardware issue - top lock key & front bottom right corner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greylee, Sep 26, 2012.

1. greylee macrumors member

So I preordered my iPhone 5 and got it last friday morning in the mail. Opened it and all happy and dandy. Through these couple of days use, I kinda notice the top lock key is getting looser and looser. it starts to make more and more the wiggling metal clicking sound and I felt the lock is not as crisp as it was when clicking it (maybe this is all in my head. im just imaging it) but since I had the top lock key stuck down, not responding problem before with my iPhone 4, I am super paranoid about it.
    ALSO the real deal that set me to make up my mind of getting a replacement phone is that the front bottom right corner of my phone is kinda loose. You will feel there's a click when you press the from panel. it feels like something is not fitted and it's making the clicking sound when i press it.
    So i am going to the store to seek for a replacement. And im really concerned with all these new orders, are they going to have replacements for me?! and I am assuming Apple won't give me any grief about it and replace my phone?!
    Plus I have an AppleCare with my phone too.

what you guys think?

and im going to the store this Saturday and of course I will report back what happened!

2. Neglia macrumors newbie

Hey,

Just like you, I'm extremely frustrated with the loose lock button. I swear, I didn't even notice it until two nights ago, and I cannot stop wiggling it. Please let me know how everything went. I'm in a rut here, and not too happy with renewing a 3 year contract with a faulty phone!

3. kellte2 macrumors regular

My button already failed. The right side of the button didn't make a pronounced click, but like you, I had AppleCare so I decided to wait it out. It made it a week. Now, it sporadically doesn't register when I press it (or sometimes registers 2 presses and turns the screen on and off instantly). AppleCare is sending me a replacement device.

If yours still works, I would suggest that you live with it. The iPhone 5 lock buttons ALL have some play in them.

4. greylee thread starter macrumors member

ok I went in. they couldn't reproduce the problem so the genius bar couldn't do a replacement. but since it's within the 30 days return exchange period. The guy suggested me to do an exchange for a brand new phone. BUT the problem is, they don't have any in stock! so i have to try another time see if they have any in stock.

but there the thing i noticed while i was in store. the lock key on the phone in store (on display) was kinda loose wiggly too. So I think it might just be like that? until it fails i guess you might need to just live with it. but when it does fail. you can go back and get a replacement phone with the genius bar.

----------

yea, I noticed the wiggly lock key on the phones in the apple store too. my phone itself is functioning just fine. but since I know the 'click' is there, I am really bothered by it. I am trying to get an exchange since its within the 30 day period. however, god know they ever will have any phones in store for an exchange. they sell out everyday.

5. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I took my phone in for the same problem the other day, and I was told it was the way it was cut out on some of the iPhones. I did call AppleCare later that day and was told I could get a replacement but they told me they were backed up and couldn't send me a phone for a week or two not sure if that is true or not.

6. greylee thread starter macrumors member

see... this is the problem. People are getting different answers from different apple departments. I went to the store bright n early when they open this morning. and they still dont' have any phone in stock. So I got send back with nothing. if you are able to reproduce the problem in store at the genius bar, they will do a replacement for you thats for sure!! coz they have to! but the catch is that all the replacement phones are refurbished (they come in a little white box instead of the retail box) so you should go get an exchange instead. then problem is no one has any phones in stock for exchange, which is the problem I have now.

so since the clicking corner is really minor (I have to try really hard to make it click and it doesn't click always) I am just going to live with it and won't waste any gas or time on such thing.

at the end of the day, my phone works just fine and it was brand new out of the box. and i have applecare so yea. I give up the idea of being so anal to get an exchange.

7. x986 macrumors regular

Replacement vs. Exchange seems to be a pretty fine line to me. How would you 'guarantee' and Exchange?

8. greylee thread starter macrumors member

well anyone can go exchange within 30 days of purchase, if they have new phones in stock. But if there's a physical fault of the phone, you can get genius bar to do a replacement which will be the phone that comes out of a white box, instead of the exchange one thats brand new in a retail box.