iPhone 5 has a virus!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nuube, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuube macrumors newbie

Malware actually, which is a virus when it has taken control of my outgoing mailbox..!

no two ways about it if it looks like a virus then it probably us a virus,

I stopped it but have severely limited my ability to email from my iPhone

I think it's time for a reset

2. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

more then likely its coming from the computer and not the iphone and your email provider suspended your account.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Someone's likely using your email addy to send emails, it's an old spammer trick, but has nothing to do with your iphone.

Go to your account and change your password.

4. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

And in addition to your phone reset be sure to change ALL your e-mail account passwords in the meantime. As others have suggested it may have been compromised elsewhere and if you don't do that you'll continue to have a problem.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

What does that mean?

6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

What service do you use for email?

I'd be willing to bet this has nothing at all to do with your phone.

7. APhillyApple macrumors regular

I am certain that it has nothing to do with your iPhone. Probably just your usage habits on the internet. Stop spreading garbage that isnt true.

8. nuube thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 has a virus!!

You guys..

ok, I received a text message from myself. I was expecting a link which I had sent myself I selected the link then realized this was not it.. The virus / malware emailed itself to everyone in my contacts That's about a 1000 contacts, luckily my email provider caught the flood of out going emails and prevented further access, I didn't notice until buisness email addresses flooded my inbox returned as undeliverable.

So beware!! Accidentally selecting a link without checking its origin can open a tin of worms. iPhone allows this open access to send email without confirmation, this virus is similar to the MacKeeper Malware, except was unsolicited and came to my iPhone's iMessage account.

Disabling the outgoing email servers on my iPhone has stopped the flood of emails to my friends and colleagues.

The virus is still attempting to send emails from my email account so next up is a reset and restore from old backup to be rid if this nuisance

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Where was the message from, what was the link, and post one of the messages that went out. There's still some pieces in this that don't make sense to me.

10. nuube, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

nuube thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 has a virus!!

Does it need to make sense?

Anyhow here is the link. wasn't until I selected it that I realized it was not the link I sent to myself the day before, besides I'd already received that earlier in the day.

What ever you do don't select this link, as a precautionary measure I added a space and a newline after http to prevent this forum from creating a link

http
    ://clubmbc.com/facebook.com.weightdropq.php?showtopic=o22

The sender was me! clever huh?

11. fortheus macrumors regular

do you use yahoo mail? my friend had this issue with yahoo mail before. Issue doesn't come from your iphone

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

That whole site is suspicious: Look here under mcaffee, it's a spam address.
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/clubmbc.com

13. SA Spyder macrumors regular

Just opened it and nothing happened.

Confirmed (quite a while ago too): OP is gentlemen's relish.

14. nuube thread starter macrumors newbie

The virus/malware exists and is currently residing on my iPhone for now. The iPhone is acting as a carrier for this self emailing virus/malware. It does not appear dangerous in terms of wiping the device. However appears to replicate itself in every email it cc's itself to

15. nuube, Sep 25, 2013

iPhone 5 has a virus!!

From information I have gathered about this virus/malware, it is not limited to any specific system. Meaning all Mac's, PC's and smart phones are potentially vulnerable

16. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

17. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Post your "information" and we'll be the judge of that.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

:confused:

19. nuube thread starter macrumors newbie

What does this mean?

20. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68020

You don't have a virus, someone hacked your email account. Changed your email account password.

21. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It means that you do not know what is really going on. You need to call your email provider, identify yourself and change your password! Proclaiming your iPhone has a virus did nothing to help your plight!

22. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Your iphone is fine, someone hacked your e-mail ...

23. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

How can you say that? Do you have any kind of evidence about that, aside from your own speculation about a mail-related issue you think is related to your iPhone?

24. nuube, Sep 25, 2013

Instead of such overwhelming defensiveness of the iPhone, honestly I was expecting an intelligent response, something along the lines of the virus cannot spread within the phone, because of the sandbox / isolated userspace each app operates in. therefore deleting the email account will remove any malware, then it should be safe to re-enable the account.

Thinking about that as a possible solution, maybe I'll attempt deleting the account, instead of deleting the whole email app if possible or resetting the iPhone to factory new condition (a last resort IMO).

Obviously within minutes of the first flood of emails sent from my iPhone I changed all important passwords.

The facts; The virus/malware sends only a few outgoing email's, however cc's to many (I've counted 29 others per email). Where the offending virus/malware acquires these addresses is not known for certain at this time, though my instinct says from my primary email account inbox as opposed to my contact list. The outgoing email contains only a link, similar to the link provided in an earlier post, while similar each link has small differences in the address, also my name in the from fuel and as many as 29 addresses of friends and business acquaintances.

Three methods I've used so far to combat the spread or effects of this virus/malware are
    first changing email account passwords
    next removing outgoing server information from the email account
    lastly place the iPhone in Airplane mode

changing email account passwords using another computer doesn't help much, because within say 12 hours of entering the new password in the iPhone's primary email account the flood of email repeats itself.

one other idea I had, change primary iPhone email accounts. if no one has any realistic suggestion am going to attempt creating an email alias to another email account and use it as the primary iPhone account.

Assuming I can maintain my privacy, I'll try to post a screenshot of the results for the disbelievers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.