iPhone 5 Headphone Jack Position

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by undies1993, Jul 27, 2012.

?

Where do you want the jack?

1. Top

123 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. Bottom

153 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Why would the consider moving it to the bottom? I like it on the top and do not like the iPod Touches with it on the bottom. It is more in the way on the bottom.

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I agree, I like it better on the top. Only thing I can think of it may be a packaging issue where it just works out it needs to be on the bottom to get the design they want due to the electronics or antenna designs. From a usability standpoint in just makes more sense on the top. When using headphones your most likely to have the phone on an armband or in your pocket where having the port on the top makes far and way the most sense. For me it's in the car where it sits in a cup holder, and again the port on top works the best.

3. undies1993 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I think it works best on the top for anywhere except the pocket. Because I thought of it and I think that I always put my phone in my pocket up side down so when pulling it out it is right side up. :confused:
    But maybe it'll still be on the top and all these mockups are wrong?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If your putting your phone in your pocket like most normal people it's natural for the phone to be upside down with the screen facing you! Simples

5. undies1993 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. That is how I do it. But I still prefer the jack on the top.

6. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

I'm torn! Most of the time I put my phone in my pocket and I usually put it in there upside down, so a headphone jack on the bottom is great. However, when I go to the gym, my armband does not have a hole at the bottom and the headphone cords come out of the top.

I guess I can't win (unless I buy a new armband for the gym). :confused:

7. undies1993 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If the phone is taller would even fit in your armband anyways?

8. Nick16 macrumors regular

Personal preferences aside, I'm just curious to know why they're even possibly moving it in the first place. If not for hardware design/placement/packaging then I don't know why else it would be moved.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

One consideration, that could be solved:

On my Nexus S 4G, the headphones jack is on the bottom next to the charging port just like in the iphone speculation pictures. If I am in my car, and it is plugged into the aux port on my car and car charger at the same time, often there the interference from the charging will affect the sound.

This is not an issue of the phone, it's an issue of having the analog audio cable so close to charging wire. Buying an insulated audio cable would fix the problem, or putting the regular audio cable through a magnetic loop would also fix it.

This hasn't been an issue on the iPod touch because I think the 30pin dock connector forces the audio cable to be far enough away.

Just something I am sure Apple will consider.

10. undies1993 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would think it would be Hardware Design.

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

I put the phone in my pocket upside down with the screen facing out so I prefer the jack at the bottom.

12. undies1993 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. Apple does test products rigorously.

13. Virinprew macrumors 6502

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

In the way of what?

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

i think you posted that in another similar thread, and i will argue most people put phones in their pocket face out and rite side up :)

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why must they get rid of the top one? Why not have 2 jacks so we can have choice?

Heck, why stop there... I want the entire band of the phone to be covered in headphone jacks! I say, if I see less than 42 headphone jacks, we riot!

Actually, I'm going to wait to pass judgement to see what Apple has to say about it. For all we know, they have a very good reason where the bottom would make sense or they're not even moving it and the rumors/ leaks are all wrong.

17. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Good that I mainly use BT ;)

But when on-cable I prefer the upper position as the device is stored in shirt pocket.

18. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Hm. I do prefer the headphone jack at the top but if Apple move it too the bottom I don't mind. But I suppose if the next iPhone is going to have a 19 pin connector anyway it may look ok at the bottom. We'll see.

19. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I think it's to get the headphone cord out of the way when using FaceTime.

20. P90 macrumors newbie

I defiantly support the idea of it being on the bottom. Especially when it's in my pocket, I hate putting my phone up and down intentionally. I just want to slide it in my pocket like usual even with headphones in.

21. lordofthereef, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am honestly indifferent. Having used an iPod touch as well as the iPhone, they are the same difference to me. Perhaps I would SLIGHTLY lean towards top since I have used the iPhone so long that way and I am a creature of habit. I honestly won't be disappointed if they decide to go with bottom though.

22. wc17 macrumors member

Its on the top right now, and we all like it, and we're all used to it.

It might be on the bottom of the new iPhone, we'll all get used to it and we'll all like it...

No big deal. :apple:

23. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Exactly. Today I had to work on a 5 year old that was in an accident and lost almost half her arm. I don't care where the headphone jack is.

What is it they say, real world problems?

24. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I prefer it on the top, but i have started using a setup in the van where i connect through the 30 pin connector to charge and get the sound that way to the radio, so i am more upset about the talk of a smaller connector.

25. Savor Suspended

Savor

Same. Used both the first gen iPod touch and iPhones. Don't notice a difference. My iPhone 4 is actually in horizontal against my hip anyway using a belt holster. As someone said, as long as it isn't on the side like my old BlackBerry Bold. I hated it when it was on the side and put it in my pocket. And as long as the speaker is still on the bottom. I hate speakers on the back of phones. It gets muffled. Apple got it right with that tiny detail.

I prefer top of the phone because I got used to it. But will have no time to adjust if they put it in the bottom. Just no sides.