iPhone 5 heating up when dropping LTE to 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by armandxp, Nov 13, 2012.

1. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

Today, is about the third time I've noticed this happen. I'll be using my phone in Safari, and after a few minutes, the phone starts getting really, really warm. I look at my connection, and it has dropped from LTE to 4G, this is on AT&t, btw.

I usually have a great signal on LTE, at least 4 bars, and 30-40Mbps. I've had the phone since day one and it's only happened a few times, but I can always tell when it has dropped to 4G, because the phone starts heating up very quickly. Curious to hear if this is happening to anyone else on here. I'm not real concerned with it at the moment, but it seems AT&T has some issues maybe with their carrier settings?

I went out of town to an area that only has the 4G, or 3G, Saturday, and my phone would only connect to EDGE. After seeing my brother's 4S constantly connecting to 4G, I went ahead and it a reset, and sure enough, it started connecting to the 4G instead of the EDGE network.

2. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

3. raam89 macrumors member

This happened to me for the first time yesterday. I was at a movie theater. Went in with 50% + charge and did not use the phone during the movie. When I came out, it was down to 9% and the phone was very warm.It was showing "No service" when I picked it from my pocket. had LTE "on"

4. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Kinda what happened to me too I believe. It dropped the lte again today and says 4g. Hasn't got warm yet.

5. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

This happens on my S3 also. I've noticed it only happens on fringe coverage areas between LTE and HSPA+. If you're in those regions, turn off LTE or it will keep trying to connect to the one with the strongest signal which kills your battery life and heats up your phone