iPhone 5 hidden feature (water resistant)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blue Ivy, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Blue Ivy macrumors member

Remember Liquipel technology? Apple bought them out last year and it was speculated that the waterproof coating would be brought to the iPhone 5. Take a look at this water test video. Why would such an amazing feature be hidden by Apple?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQryQ3o3hi0

2. apierrec, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

How you can be so sure that Apple has liquipel on the iPhone? The video doesn't prove that it has it just because it withstands water for awhile.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Cute nerdy guy in tank top. :eek:

What were we talking about again?

Seriously, they're not going to publicize something like this, because it would encourage people to try it.

5. Paulsan macrumors member

6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

a) Clean that stove. Gross.
    b) If I were his brother, I would freaking kill him. Or at least commandeer his phone.

7. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

They might not want to advertise it as they think that people may just dunk it in water all the time and liquipel always states that you should always try to keep devices away from water. If the phone has not been coated completely or has gone wrong, they will have to deal with it as they said that the device was waterproof but if they just use it as a hidden feature, stopping water damage, then they will have to replace it free of charge.

8. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

Pretty ****ing interesting. Do the same thing with an iPhone 4/4s and the thing goes to **** in seconds.

There is something to this thread - I suspect this might make headlines!

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Well **** im impressed thats some crazy stuff right there lol

10. apierrec macrumors 6502

Lol, they should try boiling those Droidtupperwares! :D

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

It's not a feature. If u submerge your iPhone you might not see the damage till much later, when the Water makes it way slowly through the phone.

My iPhone 5 repels polar bears! Not a single polar bear in my street in London as of 21st of october. Apple also has not published this awesome feature ;)

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Don't drop it in boiling water, check!

His brother is gonna be PISSED!

13. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

Is this guy a real retard or what?!? I can understand testing the iphone if its water proof but putting it into a boiling water then knowing the screen turned funky green and only to put it back into the boiling water again?!?!

He has fascination for boiling water somehow.. What a retard..

14. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

+1 I too have not been attacked by polar bears. I can confirm this as well.

15. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

forget the boiling ****, it's impressive.

we obviously don't know he didnt get the treatment on the phone already, although it's very unlikely.

basically, this needs to be bigger news than it is right now....

16. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

That guy needs to cut his nails. Pretty cool experiment though. Seems like it's maybe sealed better with tighter seams, so water might not internally hurt it as quick, but you best believe that it will damage it. I wouldn't come to the conclusion that your 5 is water resistant! It will get damaged just like any other phone when placed in water.

17. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I dropped my four in a glass of water getting out of a car and it was submerged for about 9 seconds before I could get it out. It was instantly bricked. There was water on the inside of the screen.

18. iAi macrumors 6502

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

He said it was still working like a week later.

20. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Water damage can show up way longer than a week later. Internal corrosion.
    Also, wouldn't this completely void your warranty? This would definitely trip the sensors..so whether or not it seems to be working fine afterward, good luck if anything happens to it down the road!

21. Mjv7x9 macrumors newbie

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'd like to share my story regarding this.

This past weekend I had my iphone 5 in my swimsuit pocket at the lake. Obviously I completely forgot it was there and went out for a 30 minute ride on a wave runner. I threw myself off and even swam around for a little bit, all while having no idea my phone was in my pocket. I realized as soon as I stepped off the wave runner and in frustration assumed it was dead. But after 15 minutes of convincing from friends I went back to the house and threw it in rice. I tried to blow out as much water as possible and then just let it sit in rice for 48 hours. I got a little antsy yesterday so I plugged it in and boy was I surprised. The phone booted up and i started getting notifications immediately. The touch screen wasn't very responsive but it was enough to unlock the phone and then turn it off. There was a little color abnormality at the top of the screen.

I let the phone sit in rice and silica gel packets for another 24 hours. The touchscreen now works perfectly. However there is still color abnormality in the top of the screen but it is less dramatic than the day before. it just looks as if there is water underneath the display.

I will continue to let it sit in rice to see if this goes away but for being exposed to water as long as it was, this is amazing that it even turns on. Maybe I just got lucky... Or maybe removing the 30pin connector and placing the jack at the bottom had another purpose along with an unadvertised coating.

Who knows, nor do I really care at this point. I'm just ecstatic the phone works and wanted to share.

22. Caesars macrumors regular

If I remember right my razr MAXX had something similar, but not from loquipel. I remember watching all the videos and thinking "NOPE NOPE NOPE" lol.

This is awesome tech either way, it's good to know if a down pour of rain comes down, my phone will have a chance :).

23. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Good to hear its still working! :) Sounds like you did everything right that you were supposed to (aside from taking it in the lake, lol) in terms of drying it out.

But its hardly proof that the phone is water-resistant. In fact, just the opposite.

----------

Yep, the Razr Maxx was water-resistant for sure, but I'm not sure which technology it used. In fact, it was one of its selling points, aside from the ridiculously long-lasting battery.

24. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Because Apple doesn't want to tout it. They probably bought them out so they'd have to spend less on repairs (and other reasons). Could you imagine if Apple announced that how many people would be dropping their phones in water and Apple would have to pay for all the replacements. Apple is smart. They know what they are doing.

25. davydavy macrumors member

Polar Bear feature has been around since the iPhone 3GS at least!