iPhone 5 home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Djs621, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Djs621 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The general consensus is that apple is going to go with a 4 in screen on the iPhone 5. Im curious about the fate of the home button. Perhaps Steve jobs will get his wish of an entirely gesture based phone.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I wouldn't mind getting rid of it. Android has already proven that it's not necessary.

3. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

don't need it....they can save the 3 cents that it costs, over 20million phones sold thats quite a hefty amount :D

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

5. 808? macrumors 6502a

It is one of the first things that breaks or causes grief on an iPhone, I would be happy to see the hardware version gone and replaced with a little more screen real estate.

6. cynics macrumors G3

I'd welcome some sort of software based home button. I was always worried that it could cause a problem if the device froze but I've been very impressed with Honeycomb. I've never had a problem at all. No reason Apple couldn't do it.

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

x2

8. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Yes, get rid of it! Mine have tended to stop working after a while.

9. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

I agree that they should remove the home button. It's just another vulnerable area for moisture to enter.

10. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind not having a home button. Getting rid of it would be a good way to increase screen size w/o increasing over all device size too much.

11. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

I kinda like the home button..

They better make another way to enter DFU mode then if they replace it.

12. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Considering the home button keeps giving me issues, I'd like to see it go.

13. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

They would probably replace it with a touch sensitive button instead.(kind of like the power buttons on the early white-plastic iMacs)

14. pmau macrumors 65816

Agreed. Considering you can not take the battery out.
    Hardware switches are useful and really necessary.

EDIT: No, I do not LIKE the home button.
    But imagine how horrible it would be if you cannot reset your phone properly.

15. Sixth Street macrumors member

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I'm ol'skool. I need atleast 10 buttons lol. The home button is sweet for when you need to access the iPod while in lock mode. I like that I can click it two times, and then shake to shuffle to next song using one sweeping movement

woosh take that Android/Zune or whatever your dayum name is ;)

17. 808? macrumors 6502a

They still have 3 hardware buttons left even without the home button, so I am sure they will come up with some button combination using 2 of those 3 to get into DFU mode.

18. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

My Galaxy Nexus has no physical buttons on the front. It didn't take long for me to adjust. I like this alot better with no physical buttons. Apple needs to do the same. I like the clean look on the front on my Galaxy Nexus and would like to see the same on the next Iphone..

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Although I have never had any problems with my home button (I know I will be punished for saying that!), it does seem to be among the most commonly reported problems requiring phone replacement or repair.

It would seem to me that a non-physical button would be less prone to problems. From Apple's point of view, it would be a balance between the cost of developing a non-physical button and the savings from the reduction in repair time and replacement of phones.

20. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I'd LOVE it if they got rid of the home button and either used that estate to make the screen bigger of they want to keep the screen the same size, it would be great if they compacted the phone.

Try Zephyr, it can pretty much allow you to work with your iPhone without the need for the home button now, Apple should definitely look at that tweak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1UyGU4vF6M

21. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I'm thinking more like the multi-touch pinch on the iPad that takes me back to my home screen. I don't know if its 3, 4 or all 5 fingers pinching in, but I really can't remember the last time I actually pressed the home button on my iPad.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well, on Android you do it by holding the volume down while booting the phone. I doubt they would remove DFU. It's pretty integral for troubleshooting at the Genius bar currently.

23. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I agree that the home button should go...but there's no way a 4 or 5 finger pinch (a la iPad) would work on even a 4 inch screen. Not to mention, a gesture like that would eliminate the ability to use the phone one handed.

And, a software home button is not the answer. If it were constantly on the screen, you'd be wasting the extra screen real estate provided by a 4 inch screen.

24. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain