Iphone 5 home button

rhodalinsky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Has anyone noticed the iphone 5 home button isn't as sensitive as the iphone 4? Seems like I have to push it harder. Is that in the design?

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Perhaps it's in the design. Maybe they made it more durable so that it doesn't have the same issues with the 4 and 4S.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
It's a new and improved design. I like the new clicky feel of the 5 over the spongy feel of the 4S despite needing a bit more push.

From iFixit:
-Apple's newest iteration of its classic home button sports an integrated metal support bracket, which we hope will greatly strengthen the oft-used switch.
-Many iPhone 4 and 4S users have experienced the woes of a faulty home button, but haven't been brave enough to attempt the repair. This new design should not only increase longevity, but also make replacing the home button a lot less of a hassle.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-5-Teardown/10525/4

petes67bird

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Illinois
It's a new and improved design. I like the new clicky feel of the 5 over the spongy feel of the 4S despite needing a bit more push.

From iFixit:
-Apple's newest iteration of its classic home button sports an integrated metal support bracket, which we hope will greatly strengthen the oft-used switch.
-Many iPhone 4 and 4S users have experienced the woes of a faulty home button, but haven't been brave enough to attempt the repair. This new design should not only increase longevity, but also make replacing the home button a lot less of a hassle.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-5-Teardown/10525/4
Sounds good, thanks for the information.

jgag

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
It clicks so loudly! I can't be sneaky with my iPhone at work anymore!

scotigno

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
My home button is actually defective. It only happens like once a day, but sometimes the button just doesnt work, but when i click on the very left of the button that works. So I made a genius appointment today, so hopefully they will give me a replacement.

Make Donuts

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
utah
It's the same has my ip4 and 3GS, it's responsive when new. Now the ip4 needs me to press it really hard to get it to respond and I've done the "how to make your home button responsive again" steps and still not anymore responsive than before. Eventually the ip5 will be the same... maybe it's all the "gunk" that builds up over time at the bottom?

rhodalinsky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Well, my home button got worse to the point I had to press it extremely hard to get it to work. I took it back to apple and had them try it. It wouldn't work for them. They replaced the phone and I have a phone that the home button works now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.