Iphone 5 home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rhodalinsky, Oct 3, 2012.

1. rhodalinsky macrumors member

Has anyone noticed the iphone 5 home button isn't as sensitive as the iphone 4? Seems like I have to push it harder. Is that in the design?

2. petes67bird macrumors newbie

I have noticed that as well, just hoping it improves with time.

3. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Perhaps it's in the design. Maybe they made it more durable so that it doesn't have the same issues with the 4 and 4S.

4. maclook macrumors 65816

It's a new and improved design. I like the new clicky feel of the 5 over the spongy feel of the 4S despite needing a bit more push.

From iFixit:
    -Apple's newest iteration of its classic home button sports an integrated metal support bracket, which we hope will greatly strengthen the oft-used switch.
    -Many iPhone 4 and 4S users have experienced the woes of a faulty home button, but haven't been brave enough to attempt the repair. This new design should not only increase longevity, but also make replacing the home button a lot less of a hassle.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-5-Teardown/10525/4

5. petes67bird macrumors newbie

Sounds good, thanks for the information.

6. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Definitely clickier. Not sure whether I like it better or dislike it. Easier to feel s positive click, but louder.

7. jgag macrumors member

It clicks so loudly! I can't be sneaky with my iPhone at work anymore!

8. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Use assistive touch!

Settings > General > Accessibility > Assistive touch

9. emma777 macrumors member

Thanks.........i searched on the net about it and it seems this was the best advice rather than call MYAPPLE.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Much prefer it on the 5. Feels like it won't go as mushy as my 4 button did.

11. DanBurns91 macrumors regular

Calibrate the button. Hold the power button until the power off slider shows, then hold the home button until it takes you back to the home screen
    :)

12. scotigno macrumors member

My home button is actually defective. It only happens like once a day, but sometimes the button just doesnt work, but when i click on the very left of the button that works. So I made a genius appointment today, so hopefully they will give me a replacement.

13. Make Donuts macrumors newbie

It's the same has my ip4 and 3GS, it's responsive when new. Now the ip4 needs me to press it really hard to get it to respond and I've done the "how to make your home button responsive again" steps and still not anymore responsive than before. Eventually the ip5 will be the same... maybe it's all the "gunk" that builds up over time at the bottom?

14. rhodalinsky thread starter macrumors member

Well, my home button got worse to the point I had to press it extremely hard to get it to work. I took it back to apple and had them try it. It wouldn't work for them. They replaced the phone and I have a phone that the home button works now.