iPhone 5 - Hypothetically if it does have a nano sim, over a micro sim..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leahpardo, Sep 6, 2012.

1. leahpardo macrumors newbie

I live in the UK and I was going to get a 4S but I'm thinking, considering the iPhone 5's are due so soon I may as well wait, and either get a 5, or get a hopefully cheaper 4S..

So Tesco offer a very good £12.50 Sim Only Iphone Contract.. but if the iPhone 5's do have a nano sim as rumoured, do you think Tesco (or other phone providers) will offer the same priced/ cheap sim only nano sim deals for iPhone 5?

Thanks all!

(Oh and one other question, again I know no one will know, but do you reckon the iPhone 5 will cost the same as the 4S and just replace it?, or do you think, say a 62GB 5 will cost more than the £699 the 4S does currently?)

2. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Seems pretty set that the iPhone 5 will have nano sim.

Regarding Tesco mobiles deals, I'm currently on tesco myself, I got a 12 month contract at £20 (250 minutes, unlimited texts & data) which is now a rolling 1 month contract. I went in store recently and asked whether I'd be able to transfer my current contract to a Nano-SIM when the new iPhone comes out. Obviously the people who work their wont know the specs of the new iPhone, but the guy said they had to "wait and see what contracts Apple give us" suggesting apple dictated the deals they could offer.

I saw that sim you referred to and was planning on switching to that, if it was available in nano-sim form, if I couldn't get my present deal on nano-sim.

But I would definitely recommend tesco, they have by far the most competitive contracts of the major networks and I haven't had a problem with their coverage.

I'd guess that the iPhone 5 will just fill in at the 4S's current unlocked price point.

3. leahpardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply :)

Unlocked is the current 62GB 4S priced at £699, am i right?

You see I can't afford the 24 month contracts priced at between £25 - £40, so I thought if I buy the 5 outright, and then get a cheap sim only contract it would be a better alliterative.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

All UK carriers will supply the nano sim...They will have to...I will be upgrading to the 5 from my current 4S which I will be selling. Since I buy my phones direct from Apple, all I do is call O2 and they send me a new sim..I can't see why Tesco etc. would require you to change plans just because the sim differs in size.

5. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Same situation as you, but in Italy. Tim offerts 2gb of data, unlimited sms and free calls to a number of your choice for 11 euros a month, prepayed, no contract. Non a bad deal at all :)
    I think that the 5 price will be the same as the 4s.

6. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I bought my 4S outright from the Apple store on launch day last year. I'm on a pretty good iPhone tariff with O2, so had checked beforehand about getting the required microsim but remaining on the same tariff. In order to avoid idiots just going in and asking for them for no reason, they asked me to pop back in once I had proof of purchase, which I did. They happily gave me a microsim and helped activate it etc. Was no real hassle.

7. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Don't know, that's what i thought was strange. But the guy seemed to think it was possible that i might lose my unlimited internet, which tesco stopped offering shortly after I took out my contract and replaced with 1GB only.

8. leahpardo thread starter macrumors newbie

I just hope the sim only tarrifs aren't too expensive, as I can't afford the expensive ones!

9. Radiating macrumors 65816

Wow. Guys the nano sim is just a micro sim with the plastic case cut down. You can turn a regular sim into a micro sim with scissors and you can turn a micro sim into a nano sim with scissors. People do it all the time there are even special hole punches to make it easier.