iPhone 5 impossibly unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eshroom, Jul 14, 2013.

1. eshroom macrumors 6502

Maybe someone has an idea of why/how my iPhone is unlocked.

I picked up an iPhone for cheap on eBay (UK) with a broken home button. As it turns out, it has a number of broken buttons and is a US model. The buyer stopped responding, so I went to the Apple store to get required paperwork for Paypal to refund.

So, it turns out the phone is still locked to a US network, but my 3 sim works in perfectly fine, I made calls with no problems.

The iPhone is on 6.1.4 so that rules a jailbreak out. I'm not using a piggy back-sim.

The phone has been opened by the looks of it (perhaps previous owner opened it since he couldn't get button fixed under warranty in the UK).

Thoughts anyone?

2. Cx38 macrumors member

Possibly one from a Sprint contract? Where it's unlocked for international use but whilst in the US will remain locked to Sprint?

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would guess that it's a Sprint iPhone. In the U.S., Sprint is the only carrier that will unlock ONLY for international use. If AT&T and Verizon unlock, it's a complete unlock (domestic and international).

4. s2000gtx macrumors member

EXACTLY!

the phone is definitely a sprint iphone no doubt about it. there the only one locked while in the U.S AND Unlock while international.

5. Cx38 macrumors member

I can't remember the name of the site but there is one that you type the IMEI number of an iPhone and it will tell you whether it is on contract, how long is left and the network (not checkmend) so if you have the original IMEI number it would be interesting to see the results.

6. darster Suspended

It could also be a verizon phone. Although it is sold unlocked (GSM bands), CDMA band is still locked to verizon.