iPhone 5 in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bacong, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

I searched the forums and didn't really find an acceptable answer, so apologies if this has been asked a thousand times.

My band will be going through Canada on tour in May for about 4 days. I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T, and obviously don't want to incur charges and fees. What is my best option if I want to have a few minutes/text and possibly some data available? Data would be nice, but not necessary.

AT&T's international roaming plans are pricey. any idea about possibly grabbing a cheap Canadian pre-paid sim to throw into the phone?

If all options are expired, what is the best way to avoid ANY charges whatsoever in Canada? Airplane mode? Thanks.

2. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

If you will be in a major metro city,try Wind-they have the cheapest rates but only cover tha major cities.

Airplane mode will be fine,just turn on wifi and latch onto any wi-fi hotspot you find around.

3. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68020

Bacong

Thanks for the reply. I've heard horror stories of surprise data downloads even with roaming off, so I assume airplane mode will completely protect me from that.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but if you want to be 100% sure you can take your sim card out.
    Then there is no way to get any roaming charges. Just log on to wifi instead. Should be plenty available hotspots.

5. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68020

Bacong

hey, just bumpin' for some more opinions if there are any.

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

If your phone is locked to ATT then you won't be able to just pop in a local sim here. If it's unlocked then feel free to go to Rogers and get a temp sim. Not sure where you're going but some of the smaller carriers like Wind have pretty shoddy service even in the GTA.