Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I have not backed up for a while and have some photos I really want to keep.

My iphone 5 (6.1.3) lost battery power and after trying to charge its gone into recovery mode. iTunes wants to restore it, is there any thing or any software that could help recover my photos and videos? Anything else I cold do?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
how does it go into recovery mode from just draining down? have you tried to simply leave it plugged in for awhile to a charger and do a hard reboot?

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
how does it go into recovery mode from just draining down? have you tried to simply leave it plugged in for awhile to a charger and do a hard reboot?

Won't do anything if I leave it, just says connect to iTunes.

What do you mean by hard reboot?

I don't know how I got into recovery mode, but I would love to know how to get out of it without a restore, or somehow just recover my photos and videos.

I tried a programme called tiny umbrella but that did not work for me.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Yes, I get the apple logo for a couple of seconds, then the 'connect to iTunes' symbol.

you may be out of luck then. if you cant exit recovery from a hard reboot, TinyUmbrella or RecBoot, then i think you have no choice but to restore.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
you may be out of luck then. if you cant exit recovery from a hard reboot, TinyUmbrella or RecBoot, then i think you have no choice but to restore.

Can't restore in iTunes. 'Unknown error'. Think I'm screwed.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Can't restore in iTunes. 'Unknown error'. Think I'm screwed.

If you used tinyumbrella, it messes with your windows host file to prevent the phone from connecting to apple servers. Google how to fix that then try to restore again. You will have to delete some lines in the host file and I forget which ones. Delete tinyumbrella and fix the host file then try again.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
If you used tinyumbrella, it messes with your windows host file to prevent the phone from connecting to apple servers. Google how to fix that then try to restore again. You will have to delete some lines in the host file and I forget which ones. Delete tinyumbrella and fix the host file then try again.

Thanks, that sorted it :)

Johnccior

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
Hello,

I am in the same boat of those who can only regret to have not properly backed up their iphone (beside telling (and setting up) every one around them to do so)... The worst part is that I can see all my pictures with Image capture but I cannot download any before the loop strikes back. Very frustrating.

So I now have a great iPhone 5 brick stuck in boot loop. Tried everything I could find but of course nothing is available yet as the A5 chip is not accessible as far as I can understand.

I will sit on my iBrick as long as it takes as I have so many pics and vids that I don't want to loose. I will just wait as long as it takes... I am just waiting for some good news but I am not really sure where to look for it.

I have seen that http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/02/new-exploit-makes-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-jailbreakable-life.html but it seems to be only for 4S (possibly good for wpimlico ?) but it looks like I'm still on the same boat as MICHAELMCCARTH...

If anyone has a good input or a direction to look, it would be most welcomed.
I promess next time I'll back up properly and leave that thread alone...

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Hello,

I am in the same boat of those who can only regret to have not properly backed up their iphone (beside telling (and setting up) every one around them to do so)... The worst part is that I can see all my pictures with Image capture but I cannot download any before the loop strikes back. Very frustrating.

So I now have a great iPhone 5 brick stuck in boot loop. Tried everything I could find but of course nothing is available yet as the A5 chip is not accessible as far as I can understand.

I will sit on my iBrick as long as it takes as I have so many pics and vids that I don't want to loose. I will just wait as long as it takes... I am just waiting for some good news but I am not really sure where to look for it.

I have seen that http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/02/new-exploit-makes-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-jailbreakable-life.html but it seems to be only for 4S (possibly good for wpimlico ?) but it looks like I'm still on the same boat as MICHAELMCCARTH...

If anyone has a good input or a direction to look, it would be most welcomed.
I promess next time I'll back up properly and leave that thread alone...

Wait...are you jailbroken right now? If you are, try holding down the volume up button to enter safe mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.