iPhone 5 India

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yatinmaan, Sep 15, 2012.

1. yatinmaan macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am planning to buy an iPhone 5 for myself but cost is always a consideration.

In India, iPhone 5 (approx. cost) >= Rs 40,000
    In US, iPhone 5( with contract) = 200-300$ ( approx) = Rs 15000-20000
    In US, iPhone 4 or 4S (without contract) = 700$ = Rs 35000

This means for anyone,the only way to get cheap Iphone is WITH CONTRACT FROM US.

But following are my questions.
    1) Will I be able to use it in india ? ( Jailbreak etc.)
    --- What about contract ?
    ---How can we break contract ? (In a clear manner)
    2) How can it be brought to India ? ( Any Taxes/Customs duty if couriered)
    3) What all things will need to be taken care before bringing it to India ?
    ( activation and stuff...)
    4) Will i be able to upgrade its software in india ?
    5) Will I get any warranty for it in India ?
    6)Since AT&T allows unlocking & Early Contract Termination is it possible to buy an iPhone in USA, pay ETF Fees and bring it to India ?
    7)Is there any other way like hacktivation or jailbreak ?
    BTW i can wait for a few months for the jailbreak to arrive...(4-5 months)

ETF + 32GB iPhone 5 = 325 + 300 = 625 USD = 35,000INR (still cheap..)

Thanks in Advance

2. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Do you think mail will get to you safely in India? I would not trust anything over $50 via Indian mail. Additionally, nano-sims have not made it to India yet. The carriers have placed an order for it but who knows when they will get it. If you buy it on contract it will be locked, and no one knows how long the jailbreak will take, it could be months. Buy it in India when it comes or buy the unlocked one from Canada, US, wherever. Avoid mailing it though.

3. yatinmaan thread starter macrumors newbie

Mail Issue - I wont mail it , i'll get it by a friend in US , and AT&T's Unlock terms state that there should me no credit left and the contract period is over. :cool:

Unlocking/Jailbreak Issue - I assume that after paying ETF the contract period is over and i can get it unlocked through their support or online portal. :)

Nano Sim Issue -Here in India there are 4 main carriers that provide iPhones and most of them start shipping as soon as the iPhone is launched in India (probably in December with 199 other countries) OR i can cut the sim as most people do here in India with other carriers.