iPhone 5 inductive charging explains odd two-toned backplate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brock2621, Jun 26, 2012.

1. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

[​IMG]

Last year the Wall Street Journal was quoting in saying Apple was coming up with "new way(s) of charging the phone."

Today, PatentlyApple posted a newly acquired patent for inductive charging system for Apple to use on mobile devices: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...-scrolling-rotating-resizing-on-displays.html

Do you think Apple will move forward with inductive charging for iPhone 5 and could that possibly explain the materials difference used on the leaked back plate?

2. brendu, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

brendu macrumors 68020

I was thinking this exact same thing when I saw the images of the back plate. That is the feature I am hoping for the most that I miss from my old Palm Pre. It is a small thing but makes such a big difference in simplicity and never plugging anything in.

I wonder if this is what the small metal cylinders in the middle of the inside of the case are for. They could be the positive and negative charge points for the battery, though not sure what the third would be.

[​IMG]

3. brock2621, Jun 26, 2012

brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I actually owned a Palm Pre as well and that was by far the best feature. I could walk in, click, and charging. Wake up in the middle of the night and easily check for notifications by just picking it up without accidentally yanking on the charging cord.

I'm surprised no one has been able to find strings of code in ios 6 pertaining to increased screen size, NFC or this. Don't we usually see quite a bit of hardware code in these betas?

4. cynics macrumors G4

Interesting. I wonder what makes Apples inductive charging so much different they can patent it vs inductive charging that's been around forever...

5. brendu, Jun 26, 2012

brendu macrumors 68020

I was wondering the same.

EDIT: From the article cited in the OP:
    "docking stations that include one or more of the following: reradiating antennas to enhance wireless signal integrity, inductive charging circuits, and wireless or optical data links"

That seems like enough more to make it patent-able over previous inductive charging designs.

6. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

The idea of inductive charging isn't patentable (at least not anymore as its long since expired), only the combination of multiple materials and unique method by which it is achieved can be.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Whether this explains the function or not, I still don;t understand why it HAD to be two toned. Make it all the matte (or what looks to be matte) instead of gloss top and bottom with a matte center. That would be my personal preference.

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Interesting. Only about 14 weeks left till we know the deal

9. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

This is really exciting to wonder what is in store for the next gen iPhone. This has been done before but I imagine Apple will add something with inductive charging. Ready for the unveiling now...:D

10. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Yeah I hear ya, does anybody know for sure what the top and bottom are made of? They seems to be metal from the inside and also the sound when put down in a few YouTube videos...

11. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Interesting that Apple is claiming a patent, Nicolas Tesla patented over 120 years ago. I think prior art is well established here. :D

Seriously though, HP has had this for some time and it was Palm that had the patent. Not sure what Apple tweaked to allow their system to be patented? Our patent system needs a serious overhaul.

12. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

It would explain the ability to shrink the 30 pin to 19. All the pins for charging could be taken out.

13. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

If the casing is metal, the iPhone 5 WILL NOT have NFC. There has to be a non-metallic area on the back of the phone, which will allow NFC. Typically, the chip is inthe battery. Maybe this would explain the difference in color of the back plate? Liquid metal for a single chassis, with a non-conductive, polycarbonate plate centered in the middle for NFC?

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

They would have to allow charging via wire as well or a lot of people, including me, will be upset.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I don't think Apple will do this. They might try to implement the over the air charging concept we saw them patent a while back.

I am not against inductive charging, but I feel that if they wanted it on the iPhone, they would have done it by now. The idea for the wireless/one meter range system seems like something they would tout as a "revolutionary new feature." Having a base station that transmits power over the air and charges your mouse and keyboard, and then when you sit at the desk your phone is in range and charges without having to even take it out of your pocket. We can already sync the phone like this, and although charging is more complex than syncing over wifi, I think if they are going to change the way we charge the iPhone they will go this route rather than inductive. Probably not ready yet and is a couple years away. Just my two cents.

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I...wouldn't feel safe having my phone charge, over air, while in my pocket.

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

well you don't have to keep it in your pocket. It's just making the point that the phone can charge over the air without needing a special dock or mat to rest on.

also, wifi is already killing sperm, so how much worse could it get haha (just joking)

18. rovex macrumors 65816

It serves a purpose, that we know. I reckon it's more to do with the actual antenna system as i don't believe they would have two opposing ways of charging the device.

19. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

Do you even read other these threads? If you read anything but the OP, this has been answered already.

Information! I was unaware of this. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that LiquidMetal is a ways off in such a large application. Also, from the leaks, the matte area of the back seems like a finish to me.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Try reading posts 5 & 6 in this thread.

21. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Sorry, that didn't help. Had to actually go to the patent itself to find the answer. BTW, the answer isn't in this thread.

22. psywzrd macrumors 68030

This would kill any chance of using a case with your phone, no? It would be bumpers only.

23. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

No, you can have a leather case, plastic case, gel case... Makes no difference. I have an inductive charging dock with my Touchpad. Doesn't matter what case I have put on it, it has always charged.

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You realise most of the 30 pins are redundant now don't you??

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Looking forward to bringing back the dock as standard equipment.