iPhone 5 / iOS 6 Vibration Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vtmikevt, Sep 22, 2012.

1. vtmikevt macrumors regular

In Settings > Sounds you can change the vibration pattern for incoming texts / calls / mail, etc. The problem is on my iPhone 5 the only vibration pattern i get is a "consistent" on. Ones like S.O.S. or Heartbeat all play the same long vibration pattern.

When i get a call, the phone just vibrates consistently. Anyone experiencing this? Does it sound like a phone problem or an iOS problem?

2. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

Mine works for all the choices. I'd have to say it's a problem with your iPhone. Does it sound the same even when you make a custom vibration setting?

3. SeanZy, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Can anyone shed light on this? I have the same issue

i figured it out. Im retarded. I thought vibration was global, but you do need to change the vibration in both the phone and the text message settings -_- all the vibration settings are independent of each other

4. vtmikevt, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

vtmikevt thread starter macrumors regular

Yea it's weird. I think it's the phone. Vibrations also sound rattly. Taking it to the apple store this week.

Edit: compared the vibration to another iPhone 5 and mine is definitely broken. Bringing it to apple store today. Hopefully they keep spares for replacement on site.

5. the1pes, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

the1pes macrumors newbie

any word on this, I am having the same issue?

Edit: My issues involve every vibration setting being a consistent on, even custom tones.

6. ttexxan macrumors regular

Ditto everytime my phone vibrates the phone will make a rattle notice near the ear piece

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It seems a bit disappointing that so many people are having such a wide variety of problems with iPhone 5. It seems that quite possibly this is the buggiest phone yet.

I wonder if Apple has lost some of its key people that are their to insure things like this don't happen.

8. TRowe81 macrumors newbie

Haven't experienced any vibration problems. I was even able to create custom vibrations, and I'm almost ashamed to admit how much fun that was. Sorry to hear you got a defective phone.

9. xZapx macrumors newbie

I'm having this same problem with my new iPhone 5. I tried a Reset All Settings with no avail. Any updates on this issue? Was it ever solved?

The weird thing with my phone is that when tapping to create a custom vibration pattern, it vibrates only when I tap. But when I immediately go to play back the pattern, it just vibrates continuously.

It would suggest that the hardware is theoretically OK - could this be a software bug?

10. xZapx macrumors newbie

Well, did a restore again - and no change thus far. I really am at a loss as to how this is hardware related if the phone can be made to cycle the vibrator motor when I'm tapping a pattern. Playback for preset and custom settings is the same as before, though. Guess it is time to call Apple again and see if they have anything else to try. Might have to exchange the phone.

11. xZapx macrumors newbie

Well, since I've resolved the issue, figured I'd follow up.

Took the phone to the Apple Store where they did a complete wipe and restore (more than normally what happens in iTunes).

No change, even leaving the phone without any backup restore. Technically they were supposed to try changing the vibrator motor, but both people I spoke with thought it was a strange issue and they decided to give me a new phone.

On the upside, the new phone vibrate is much better than the old one, so there appears that there was another issue with the vibe motor anyway, aside the fact that it vibrated too long and not in patterns.