iPhone 5 = iPhone 4SS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanielMyst777, Sep 12, 2012.

1. DanielMyst777 macrumors member

But seriously, better antenna, bigger screen, faster processor/camera, and...wait for it... NEW DOCK CONNECTOR!

wtf? 2 years later with my IP4, I was waiting for this? Thanks :apple: At least give us 1 universal phone that works on both GSM and CDMA networks this time, but I guess that's asking too much for only 2 years.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

In a sense, yes, this new iPhone is an iPhone 4SS if you wish. The only notable thing is Panorama (which was long overdue) and Lightning. The rest are expected upgrades for every announcement.

3. DanielMyst777 thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah. Almost forgot about panorama..oh wait...

On the plus side, we're out the native Youtube player and Google maps app.

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

The native one was complete crap compared to the new one.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The panorama feature will be coming to the iPhone 4S with iOS 6.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm happy to at least hear that.

7. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

LTE isn't noticeable enough?

8. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

lol only a dummy would mistake LTE as a nonupgrade.

9. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

In iOS 6, youtube links opens now in the newly release Youtube app. One can only hope Google releases a Maps app because I really love Street View,

10. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

True, read your post too fast #latenightpost

11. rellimie macrumors member

What more do you want? What major feature is missing?

I'm fine with what they announced. My biggest worry was they were going to make the phone so big I wouldn't be able to use it with 1 hand.

12. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So were u expecting the new iphone giving u superpower or something? Ppl expect too much nowadays from apple!

Not happy go with samsung they make a 4.8" phone or even their 10.1 tablet can make calls!

13. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

You do have the option not to buy it. That is how the market works right? What makes you think Apple would drastically change a phone that every single generation has sold better then it's predecessor? Obviously people like it, you just don't happen to be one of them...

14. iMichael! macrumors regular

What does it matter?

Were getting a new phone so deal with it.

Apple could care less if you didn't buy it when there will be 3 million people buying it the first day.

15. white4s macrumors 65816

both absolute garbage apps, garbage

i like the 5 a lot, cant wait to upgrade next year for the 5s

16. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I bought an s3 and used it for all of July and August. I loved the screen size until I needed to use it one handed. It's a solid phone (I prefer the One X for Android) but form factor = functionality.

I love this new phone almost as much as the Lumia 920. I'm not impressed by iOS 6 but it works well and is intuitive. From a phone, I don't need much more.

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I just returned my 4.8" Android phone tonight. What a disappointment.

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Are you kidding me? You know how difficult it is to add an extra set of radio bands into a device, make it smaller, give it a new display, etc while improving performance and maintaining battery life?

19. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Actually I don't

20. KPOM macrumors G5

Seriously? These are your complaints? There are too many LTE bands for Apple to release a single version, particularly since they are bound by whatever Qualcomm can sell them in terms of chipsets.

What were you expecting? They increased the screen, put in a faster processor, better camera, a sturdier case design, made it thinner and lighter, improved the battery life, and added LTE. Do you want it to do your laundry as well?

----------

It's pretty difficult. Otherwise everyone else would have done it already.

21. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Only Apple is allowed to get away with this half hearted "redesign."

If any other manufacturer did this, iFans would bash it to no end, shouting "no innovation or inspiration" from the rooftops.

22. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

23. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, the biggest reason for me to get the 5 is the LTE feature. Other than that.. The 4S can do what the 5 can.

It does look nice. And I will probably get it.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

People seem to be asking what the new phone could have had. Well ok, here is a small list I came up with.

NFC - a lot of people say "we don't need this". Need I remind you that the same was said about a bigger screen? Apple adds tech to their phones and it explodes. Adding NFC to the iPhone is what will make NFC a staple form of payment everywhere you go. You know how you all know someone with an Apple charger? Yeah... that's what Apple COULD do to NFC.

Wireless Charging - This is an overlooked feature. Yes you still need cables to charge in this fashion. The convenience of setting your phone down at your desk, letting it charge, and picking it up when you walk away is nice. Going to bed? Set your phone down on your nightstand and you are good to go. Yes, it is a CONVENIENCE thing. Must like passbook is convenience. We could have an app for everything that passbook holds (and we actually do!) but it is more convenient to have the passbook feature.

EVEN BETTER Camera - Take a look at the Lumia 920 for an idea on what I am talking about here. I am not a camera guy, so I can't spout out specs, but the camera undoubtedly takes better pics than the 5. I just don't feel the camera was much of an upgrade this go around. It could have been better.

Home Button - Trash it. You heard me. This is probably the number one complaint Apple gets in terms of faulty hardware. You use the home button to wake the phone, exit an app, multitask, etc. I don't even want to think about how many times a day that thing gets pressed. Either get rid of it, or redesign it in a way that this issue isn't nearly as prevalent (they may have done this, to be fair, however there was no mention).

Widgets? - This is going to upset a few iOS die-hards, which is also why you see the lovely "?" there. I think the extra screen real estate could have been more aptly used than slapping a simple extra row of icons (in springboard view obviously). Widgets is just one example. Don't like widgets? Ok, maybe live info on icons (perhaps make icon slightly larger)? I don't know. Just feel like an injustice was done by simply adding an extra row of icons and calling it a day.

32GB BASE Model - At this point, Apple could clearly give us a 32GB base model phone. How do I know? Well, for starters, plenty of others are doing it. They have managed to keep the 16GB 4S and drop its price to $100 on contract. At this point it is milking profits. To be fair, I don't blame them. It is their job to milk profits. I am simply saying it would be nice if it wasn't this way. (I felt that needed to be said before people inevitably jump down my throat).

25. skidbubble macrumors 6502

No, it's not because it is a feature that lesser "dumbphones" have had for 2-3 years now, and Apple is just now getting around to it. I've seen people with el-cheapo $20 throwaway flip phones that had 4G for years now.