iPhone 5 > iPhone 5s via AT&T Next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFiend, Oct 8, 2013.

1. iFiend macrumors 65816

Wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded from their iPhone 5 to an iPhone 5s using the new AT&T Next program? Based on what I've read, it seems that you have to be full-upgrade eligible in order to sign up for this service. Having an iPhone 5 currently, I am only eligible for early upgrade pricing, but I figured if anyone was somehow able to pull this off, it would be MR :D

Any success stories out there?

Thanks!

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

The Next plan is a total rip off and I don't suggest anyone using it.

3. Dave Felix, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I thought this too. It's really for people who feel the need to have the latest and greatest. Its honestly not that bad.

iPhone 5S 32GB on the Next Program is $32 a month for 12 months = $384 for the year.

iPhone 5S 32GB regular contract is $300+$36 activation fee for 24 months. $336 total

$48 dollar difference - What you really have to consider on the next program is you can only keep the device after 20 months. You can switch for any device after 12 months, basically allowing you to switch yearly. You have to keep the phone in good condition in order for them to take it back in. Regular contracts you can keep the device after 24 months while not paying the extra amount monthly since you paid up front.

I might consider it..

4. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Did Verizon Edge

I did the Verizon Edge program, which is similar. This way I won't have to worry about contract status each year, and having to sell any phones. Yes it is a ripoff if you keep the phone all the way out to 24 months, but typically I would be upgrading every 6 months to a year, and wouldn't be drawing it out to 24 months like that. And I only paid tax and activation up front, instead of $299 plus tax and activation for my 32gb.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

But your paying off a phone that you have to return to them if you upgrade every year?

6. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Well its almost the same if you pay $299+$36 for the activation fee up front and have to wait 24 months. You're not paying off a phone, you're basically renting.

7. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

I appreciate the advice, but that is not what I'm seeking :p

Has anyone had AT&T let them sign up for Next even though you weren't full-upgrade eligible? I was told I'd have to wait until next year since I have a 5, which I got at launch.

8. Firocity macrumors member

Just sell the phone and buy it on the off contract price. That way every 2 years you either break even or make a profit on the phone from the previous year when exercise your upgrade.

9. forcetactic macrumors 6502

The difference is you can sell that phone to make up for the cost and profit most likely. It is actually cheaper to sell your phone and buy a new one each year ($100-200 cost) vs att next which will cost near $400 per year

10. alent1234 macrumors 603

NEXT would be a decent deal if you could sell the old phone yourself. but you have to turn it in to AT&T in good condition so they can sell it

11. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

I am well versed in the ways of selling your old iPhone to get a new one (that's what I did to get the 5 and what I've done since my 3G), so I get it. I don't feel like going that route for many reasons, but especially because most iPhone 5's are not selling for the early upgrade price that I would pay ($449+tax+activation fee).

I'm guessing that no one has been able to get AT&T to allow you to sign up for the Next plan in my situation :D

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Gotta love Americans. Companies have figured out the Americans only think of the "lowest" upfront initial cost of things.

From no money down home loans to now this.

Tmobile uncarrier strategy is somewhat similar in that they try to make it look like the phones are cheaper upfront but you do pay monthly installments until phone is paid off. It's essentially a loan at 0% interest.

Now att next and edge are are totally different beast designed to mislead average consumers to indirectly lowering att/verizon subsidy they usually give you.

Yes its "no contract". But the contract isn't paid off until the phone is paid off in full. It's all semantics but its a lease program designed to favor the carrier 100% of the time unlike car lease deals where it's usually a 50/50 shot the consumer ends up with the better deal by leasing rather than owning.

13. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

A few weeks ago I posted here wondering if you could essentially switch from the Next plan to a regular two year contract at some later date. Say you buy an iPhone 5s this year on the Next plan, then purchase an iPhone 6 on a new, two year contract next year. Doing that would actually be a good financial deal; however, it is still unconfirmed if this is even doable.

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

No, you cannot switch. That's why the next and edge programs are a scam.

The only way to switch from next/edge is to pay off the balance of the phone in full.

Read the fine print. Only people eligible for Next are those who are new customers or those who are eligible for upgrades.

You essentially give up your full subsidy to enroll in next program. And only way to become upgrade eligible again is to pay off phone in full

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

16. alent1234 macrumors 603

best buy and others are giving you around $300 trade in value on iphone 5 so you are looking at $150 out of pocket for a 5S plus your normal phone bill.

not the $350 per year for NEXT plus the phone price plus having to give up your old phone

17. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

yeah but they dont offer one year contracts.. if they did they would not need the next program.