iPhone 5 is a Redesign?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Sep 14, 2012.

?

Next iPhone Going To Have A Redesign?

1. Absolutely!

62.3%
  2. Keeping the Design

37.7%
  1. LouieSamman, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Yes it's thinner, has a bigger screen, and has a aluminum back but can this be a redesign or does it fall along with the iPhone 4, 4S?

Asking this because it helps on what to expect on the next generation iPhone. If this isn't a major redesign considered to Apple than we should see one in the next gen iPhone, correct?

This is just opinions that I am asking for. Obviously we will not know till the day but knowing Apple, do you think they enjoy/love the design so much that they will continue to use it for another year?

I'm on contract with an iPhone 4S and am eligible for an upgrade on may of 2013 so I am waiting on the next gen iPhone instead of getting the iPhone 5 so I'd like to know where Apple might head into for their next gen iPhone.

2. wongulous macrumors 6502a

It went from glass and stainless steel to an aluminum unibody... totally different materials, totally different properties, totally different process... the colors are quite different now that the aluminum can be anodized... the logic board is all kinds of different... The antennas are not a part of the phone's frame any longer... The processor is totally new and die-shrunk, and it uses all-new chips for wireless signals and a completely new screen technology never used before...

Basically the only things that are the same is that the rounded corners and same exterior buttons are there.

So, yes, full redesign.

As to what happens next year? Who knows. Perhaps more models, perhaps a speed/spec bump. It's really premature.

3. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

If they call it iPhone 5S it's going to be disappointing because I'd rather upgrade to every redesigned iPhone rather than incremental upgrades to the phone. People coming from the iPhone 4 to 5 is the ideal upgrade because it seems that of those 2 years we see a major revision phone.

So I have to make the decision to get on the train now and get the iPhone 5 and pay the extra cost because I am still under contract AND THEN go every 2 years of getting a new iPhone.

Hmm...

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

3G -> 3GS Same design
    4 -> 4S Same Design
    5 -> 5S (more than likely same design as 5)

5. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

Slightly misleading poll as the thread title looks like you are questioning whether or not the iPhone 5 should be considered a redesign to which I voted absolutely. I doubt the 5S/6 will be a redesign. They seem to be following a 2 year tick/tock cycle.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Your OP/poll is a bit unclear. Yes, the iPhone 5 is a redesign and yes, the iPhone 5S will retain the same design if history is any indication. After all, it sold out in 1 hour!

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Will the 5S be the same design? Most likely.. that's if it's called a 5S.

9. charliecc macrumors regular

Fixed that for you.

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Has an eerily similar look .... but really how many ways can you change the look of a phone.

It's not much different in appearance from previous model.

You could say they layed an iPhone 4/4s on the pavement and rolled a car over it to make it thinner and longer.

For most people it is a 'ho-hum or 'meh' redesign.

I have an iPhone 4, but honestly I will wait a month if not more before I even think about going for an iPhone 5.

My contract with provider is up, I was not foolish enough to fall for the iPhone 4s.

I'm contemplating just canceling the iPhone altogether and just live with the one cell phone that is my home/office number and leave that phone in my home/office.

That when when I am out riding through the country I don't have to worry about the stupid phone ringing.

It's not THAT important that I cannot live without a phone glued to my head .... sorry for those of you who think it is! :D

11. Menel Suspended

Menel

Major redesign.

Stainless steel band vs. Aluminum Unibody.

Sure there are similarities of industrial design, but it's a distinctively new design.

----------

If it bothers you that bad, 4S is a very capable phone, dual core, has virtually all the software features of the 5. Just wait til 6.

There's a good chance the 5S will have software/hardware features that might tease you next fall.

12. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

When compared to the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S upgarde, yes it is!

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

So you think the design of the 5 is the same as the 4/4S?? :confused:

14. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Of course its the same design. It doesn't have a screen that could double as a billboard. :rolleyes:

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I honestly don't know why this confuses people.

The 3GS looked identical to the 3G, and the 4S looked was identical to the 4.

The 5 doesn't look identical to the 4 or 4S, therefore it is the new design, and the 5S will look just like the 5.

16. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Horribly misleading poll. I voted yes to the thread title. You must work in politics!

17. iregret macrumors 6502a

18. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The 5 was completely redesigned from the ground up. The true marvel here is that they managed to keep it looking almost exactly like the iPhone 4/S.

It's a sure bet that they'll keep this design for the 5S. Maybe a new color or two, but probably not even that.

Honestly, though, where else can they go with the iPhone? 5 years to get to a 4" 16:9 screen, so they won't be increasing it again. They've (some might say) perfected the physical design, so that just leaves software and internals.

Next year will be things like NFC and software. Have to face it, the iPhone is plateauing. Much like computers have. There's not too many other places to go with it.

19. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

^^^ yup id say the same with all phone companies too besides offering different sizes. most looks the same or similar now a days. rare to find them in anything else than plastic.
    i believe apple will have two sizes eventually. One larger closer to 5" screen and keep this size for a long time. Both in 16x9 formats to not mess with apps but i think apple sees more money in larger screens. two models will sell extremely well.

20. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

You'd have to smoke some really powerful stuff not to see that the iPhone 5 is a new design. I voted yes, because one can dream

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

haha. Didn't know what to vote. So left it.

22. tekno macrumors 6502a

Audi had the A5. Then they brought out the A5 Sportback. Is it a redesign? No, it's the same car, but longer.

That's how I feel about the iPhone. The 4 was a redesign (albeit nothing too major) over the 3GS, but the design has remained essentially the same with the 5, just a bit longer and a slightly updated finish.

Personally, I think Apple are out of ideas and far too scared of their shareholders to take any risks.

Attached Files:

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The internals have nothing to do with whether it is considered a redesign, if so the both the 3GS and 4S would be considered redesigns because their interals changed as well.

Ignoring the obvious height increase, the the 5 has changed to the same degree that the 3G changed from the original. Visually the only thing that changed with the 3G was the back, it kept the same chrome trim around the front side. The 5 has a changed back and even the antenna looks different. Its thicker and has beveled edges.

24. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

It is a redesign because
    (1) the unibody is used, which is different from the body of the 4/4S;
    (2) the in-cell display is used, which is different from that on 4/4S;
    (3) the connector is changed to the lightning connector;
    (4) the earphone jack is moved to the bottom;
    (5) the FaceTime camera is moved to the middle;
    (6) the body has become thinner and taller;
    ... ...

However, the overall shape of the iPhone 5 is borrowed heavily from that of the 4/4S. In this respect, the iPhone 5 evolves from 4/4S, which does not deny the redesign.

An analogy: The son may look nearly the same as the father. But the son is a totally reborn human being with genes from the father.

Another analogy: The Macintosh Classic looked almost the same as the Macintosh Plus. But the Macintosh Classic was a redesigned Mac with the appearance (form factor) of the Macintosh Plus.

25. tekno macrumors 6502a

Not that this'll be noticed by most people once they've stuffed it into a £1.99 rubber iPhone case that looks like a cassette tape.