iPhone 5 is lighter and thinner and you hate that. So now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanteMann, Sep 15, 2012.

1. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Ok, we all know how so many here have said over and over that they like the weight and thickness of the iPhone 4S. They like the heft of the iPhone all these years because it gave it that substantial feel. In fact, the lightness and thinness of other phones was considered a serious con for many of these iPhone die hards. But now the roles have reversed. So now what? Is it still a con? Will it feel cheap now that it is thin and light? Following the opinions on this forum of die hards, it should. :rolleyes:

2. cotak macrumors regular

3. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes, this is the main issue I was pointing out.

I like having that weight in the phone. I had an iPod touch before the iPhone 4S and well, because it was light it did feel cheap.

I can't wait to get a 5 to try how it feels.

5. astral125 macrumors 6502

6. KPOM macrumors G5

The heft added to the feel of quality, but it wasn't the only factor. The difference is the quality of the materials. The original iPhone was lighter than the 4S, but still felt premium because it was made of aluminum. The iPhone 5 is lighter, but should still feel premium because of the materials used.

7. DanteMann thread starter macrumors 6502

Ummm...no. People have clearly stated many times, they don't like the lightness and thinness of the GS3. But of course, just like screen size, and anything else the iPhone lacks, it will become a desirable feature when Apple has it on their side. You guys are hilarious.

8. Nathan576 macrumors member

the s3 is PLASTIC

9. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I think I've seen most people complain that the GS3 is cheap feeling in their hands and plastic, not light and thin. Calm down over there.

10. Timzer macrumors 6502

Sherlock in da house!
    Actually it's just like most other phones.

11. c1ar3 macrumors newbie

i am happy its thinner but not so much with the weight, i tend to drop phones and i hate using a case. Hopefully i dont need to purchase more than one iphone in a year

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The weighty feel of the 4/4S is one of its good attributes because it's made of glass. In contrast, the lighter 3G/3GS felt cheap because of its plastic backing.

I think the iPhone 5 will be just like titanium rings. They're lightweight but don't feel cheap like some fake plastic ring. A ring doesn't necessarily have to be platinum (namely heavy) in order not to feel cheap.

It boils down to type of material used.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Get a Mophie Juice Pack Air and you'll have the thickness and heaviness back PLUS extra battery life :)

I kinda agree that the the iPhone 5 shouldn't have been made any thinner though - IMO it would be much better if that space was used for a bigger battery :)

14. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

So it feels lighter?

15. leenak macrumors 68020

Although we'll see, the reviews don't make it sound like it feels flimsy. Here is a good review I read.
    http://daringfireball.net/2012/09/iphone_5_event

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I think I'm consistent - I really don't like the fact that the iPhone 5 is thinner (or the new aspect ratio) and feel that it's a definite mark against the phone. The iPhone 4/4s was better in this regard.

You're definitely correct that some people will irrationally change their mind at this point though.

----------

"Good review" and "Daring Fireball" in the same sentence.

Lol.

17. leenak macrumors 68020

good review of the feel? :). I wasn't trying to say it was a comprehensive, technical or unbiased review but if someone can't wait a week to see how it feels in their hands, then that would give you an idea.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Who said I hate lighter and thinner. I freaking love it. Anyone who runs with their iPhone or like to stick it in their short's pocket is going to love it. The iPhone 4 is gonna feel like a brick just like the original iPod. I say hallelujah! Praise the lighter and thinner iPhone 5.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

You guys are hilarious. What's missing from the G3 is a premium feel. It is very large, but not very premium feeling, partly because of its weight, but also because of its plasticky feel. Obviously we haven't felt the iPhone yet, but it is a much smaller device. Proportion comes into play.

20. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

It all comes down to the build quality and materials used. The GS3 is light because it's plastic (the same material milk gallons are made out of). On the other hand, the iPhone 5 is light because of in-cell technology, innovations in reducing component size, etc.

The only thing hilarious is your flawed assumption about the reasons why people hate that the GS3 is light.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Many of us also think our own iPhone 3G/3GS felt plasticky and cheap partly because of its lightweightness and poor fit and finish. Good thing Apple learned from its mistake.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Interesting how people b*tched when the iPad got ever so slightly thicker and heavier. Now they're b*tching that the iPhone is too thin and light.