Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
My wife is certainly no early adopter, so she is very happy with my old gear every time I upgrade.
When I got my 6 plus, she got my 5. Now that i have my 7 plus, she has the 6 plus.

Now I've got the 5 back in my hands, I'm keeping it as a backup. I've been spending some time playing with it, and I find it surprisingly capable considering it is already 4 years old now. Even on iOS 10 it seems to run just fine, with some stutter, but not all that bad. I would have no problem using this on a daily basis still, but recognizing that the 5's days are numbered give the fact that it's the last 32bit iPhone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My dad is still using my old i5. It's on iOS7 and runs like a champ. The battery life was always poor on iOS7 but it flies and has no lag.

Reactions: JRoDDz

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Parents are still using iPhone 5 now with iOS 10 (and prior to that with iOS 9 and 8 before that).

Reactions: timeconsumer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My wife is certainly no early adopter, so she is very happy with my old gear every time I upgrade.
When I got my 6 plus, she got my 5. Now that i have my 7 plus, she has the 6 plus.

Now I've got the 5 back in my hands, I'm keeping it as a backup. I've been spending some time playing with it, and I find it surprisingly capable considering it is already 4 years old now. Even on iOS 10 it seems to run just fine, with some stutter, but not all that bad. I would have no problem using this on a daily basis still, but recognizing that the 5's days are numbered give the fact that it's the last 32bit iPhone.
My Black/Slate iPhone 5, 64GB is used as a media device. Running 9.0.1 jailbroken. Still works great.

Just got my son a 4s a couple weeks ago and he's been using that. I'd have given him my 5, but it's locked to Sprint and we're with T-Mobile now.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
The slate iPhone 5 is still my most favorite iPhone of all time.

I love the slate too, however mine suffers from a bad case of scuffgate. Even though I've always used a case, just by removing the hard plastic case every now and then to swap a SIM card, the edges still got scuffed.

Reactions: OriginalClone

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I love the slate too, however mine suffers from a bad case of scuffgate. Even though I've always used a case, just by removing the hard plastic case every now and then to swap a SIM card, the edges still got scuffed.

2016-10-11 20.50.06.jpg 2016-10-11 20.51.02.jpg 2016-10-11 20.52.17.jpg 2016-10-11 20.54.07.jpg 2016-10-11 20.51.07.jpg

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Still using my 5 and iOS 10, and happy as a clam. Replaced the battery a few months back and it gave it a new lease on life. Very occasionally it resets for not good reason, which I haven't figured out...

Design wise though, the 4 series was my favorite.

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015

I have an old 5 running ios 8, it's smoother than ios 9 or 10 on the newer phones

Reactions: pdxmatts

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Still using my 5 and iOS 10, and happy as a clam. Replaced the battery a few months back and it gave it a new lease on life. Very occasionally it resets for not good reason, which I haven't figured out...

Design wise though, the 4 series was my favorite.

4 was my favorite too. It looked so premium - like a classic Leica camera. Best thing was the glass back - very easy to go naked or just put a skin on it.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Just got my son a 4s a couple weeks ago and he's been using that. I'd have given him my 5, but it's locked to Sprint and we're with T-Mobile now.

The 4s is still a capable phone as well as the 5, just because its not the latest and the greatest, it doesn't mean its not useful - its all about your needs.
I really don't see the point of getting new phone every single year as long as the correct one in use is fully function. In real life, in my surroundings 99% of the people using "old" phones, they're using them till they're dead, broken or not working for some reason before they buying new one.

wymi

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2012
My previous i5c was the best of all my iPhones for reception, call and ringer volume. Spoiled with the larger iPhones now and could never go back.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The 4s is still a capable phone as well as the 5, just because its not the latest and the greatest, it doesn't mean its not useful - its all about your needs.
I really don't see the point of getting new phone every single year as long as the correct one in use is fully function. In real life, in my surroundings 99% of the people using "old" phones, they're using them till they're dead, broken or not working for some reason before they buying new one.
I agree. If not for circumstances in 2015 my wife and I would still be using our iPhone 5's.

The 4s was perfect for my son's needs (he wouldn't see it that way, LOL). It's an 8GB phone so he has to really think about what he wants on it. That and the fact that it's limited to 4G (not LTE) means less tempation to use the phone when he isn't supposed to (in class). He also has a 2GB data cap so most of his data is on WiFi.

But we can call him and text him which is the main purpose for the phone. Which means his 4s is still relevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: geta

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
The icon says 4G on my son's phone. We're on T-Mobile.

With T-Mobile there's 4G and then there is LTE. My son does not get LTE because the phone is not capable of it.

My bad, so im guessing in Euroland its different.
On my 4s i can only 'Enable 3G' under Setting\Cellular, even though my carrier supports 4G\LTE.

PS - So nice to see old iOS (6, right?) :)

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.