iPhone 5 is too big

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I got the iPhone 5 yesterday and once I added a case to protect the phone it seems so much bigger in my hand than the iPhone 4.

I think it's too big with the added length at the top and bottom. I can't imaging if they had also made it wider. Maybe I'll get used to it but it just seems BIG to me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm sure you'll get used too it. I have a 4S and the 5 just looks silly too me but I've heard from 5 owners once the get used to the 5 the 4 looks short and stubby.

Comment

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I got the iPhone 5 yesterday and once I added a case to protect the phone it seems so much bigger in my hand than the iPhone 4.

I think it's too big with the added length at the top and bottom. I can't imaging if they had also made it wider. Maybe I'll get used to it but it just seems BIG to me.
Get a Samsung Galaxy Note/Note 2. Use it for a day and than go back to the iPhone 5.

Tell us than.

Everything is relative.

Comment

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Well, at least this provides a bit of balance to the discussion given that most of the complaints about the iPhone 5's size have been that it is too small.
As others have suggested, I'm sure you will get used to it.
Most of all, what your post points out is that this whole discussion about the merits of a particular design and size are strictly subjective. If it works for you, buy it. And if it doesn't, don't. Pretty simple.

Comment

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
To be fair if they make it any bigger down the line I'd expect an Iphone mini or different screen sizes as not everybody likes large phones.

Comment

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

I asked Tim, he says you are holding it wrong.

Comment

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
And I left the iPhone because the screen was too small. Guess they'll never make everyone happy.

I just never heard that the iPhone was too BIG!!!! Sheesh. Ill buy the iPhone again when it DOES get bigger (wider).

Comment

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
They can't please everyone, but it seems to me, that the iPhone is the perfect size, bigger screen for people who felt that the 3.5" screen was too small, but not huge like most new Android phones.

Comment

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Picked up my 4s just for kicks.

Feels dated in the hand. I actually wouldn't mind the i5 being even lighter by a smidge.

Comment

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the taller screen when I heard about it through the leaks.

But after using the iphone 5 for a week or so now, I couldn't go back to a 4S screen. It is so small and squished compared to the iphone 5.

The extra screen space is great for safari, email, and other apps. But in the end they can't make everyone happy because before the iphone 5 people opt'd for other phones because the screen was too small.

Comment

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Trust me, in a week it'll be awesome lol. But seriously, if you think this is big, then try holding/using a Galaxy SIII

Comment

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I finally got down to an Apple store today to see one in person.

It really isn't too big. It feels just right IMO. I have fairly small hands and it was definitely manageable with one hand.

If anything it just emphasised how small my 4S is. It still feels kind of stubby a few hours after playing with the 5.

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You'll get used to it as that's what we're stuck with for the next two years until they shrink the wasted space at the top and bottom in the iPhone 6.
agreed. The next thing will be making the phone as much screen real-estate as possible while either keeping the same form factor or going even smaller with the non-screen space (decreasing form factor w/ 4" screen).... maybe even getting rid of the physical home button

Comment

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
And I left the iPhone because the screen was too small. Guess they'll never make everyone happy.

I just never heard that the iPhone was too BIG!!!! Sheesh. Ill buy the iPhone again when it DOES get bigger (wider).
It's a phone. I like using a phone with one hand. If they had made it any wider it requires two. There is no way I'd use a 2 handed phone.

----------

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the taller screen when I heard about it through the leaks.

But after using the iphone 5 for a week or so now, I couldn't go back to a 4S screen. It is so small and squished compared to the iphone 5.

The extra screen space is great for safari, email, and other apps. But in the end they can't make everyone happy because before the iphone 5 people opt'd for other phones because the screen was too small.
I've had the iPhone 5 for about 24 hours. I'll have to wait and see how I feel once I've had it a few days. But every time I look at it I think big phone. :p

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.