iPhone 5 is too big

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Coleman2010, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I got the iPhone 5 yesterday and once I added a case to protect the phone it seems so much bigger in my hand than the iPhone 4.

I think it's too big with the added length at the top and bottom. I can't imaging if they had also made it wider. Maybe I'll get used to it but it just seems BIG to me.

2. cynics macrumors G3

I'm sure you'll get used too it. I have a 4S and the 5 just looks silly too me but I've heard from 5 owners once the get used to the 5 the 4 looks short and stubby.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Get a Samsung Galaxy Note/Note 2. Use it for a day and than go back to the iPhone 5.

Tell us than.

Everything is relative.

4. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

I guess you aren't used to holding anything long. Sorry to hear about that.

5. MathijsDelva macrumors regular

My condolences.

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Well, at least this provides a bit of balance to the discussion given that most of the complaints about the iPhone 5's size have been that it is too small.
    As others have suggested, I'm sure you will get used to it.
    Most of all, what your post points out is that this whole discussion about the merits of a particular design and size are strictly subjective. If it works for you, buy it. And if it doesn't, don't. Pretty simple.

7. gadget123 macrumors 68000

To be fair if they make it any bigger down the line I'd expect an Iphone mini or different screen sizes as not everybody likes large phones.

8. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I asked Tim, he says you are holding it wrong.

9. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

And I left the iPhone because the screen was too small. Guess they'll never make everyone happy.

I just never heard that the iPhone was too BIG!!!! Sheesh. Ill buy the iPhone again when it DOES get bigger (wider).

10. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

They can't please everyone, but it seems to me, that the iPhone is the perfect size, bigger screen for people who felt that the 3.5" screen was too small, but not huge like most new Android phones.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

On the plus side, because of how thin it is mine in a case is now as thick as my 4S was naked.

12. Matt8045 macrumors regular

yeah man that thing is HUGE look how much taller it is than my iphone 4! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

13. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

14. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

Picked up my 4s just for kicks.

Feels dated in the hand. I actually wouldn't mind the i5 being even lighter by a smidge.

15. luqtotheman macrumors regular

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the taller screen when I heard about it through the leaks.

But after using the iphone 5 for a week or so now, I couldn't go back to a 4S screen. It is so small and squished compared to the iphone 5.

The extra screen space is great for safari, email, and other apps. But in the end they can't make everyone happy because before the iphone 5 people opt'd for other phones because the screen was too small.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

right, people need to read more than the thread title.

17. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Trust me, in a week it'll be awesome lol. But seriously, if you think this is big, then try holding/using a Galaxy SIII

18. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I finally got down to an Apple store today to see one in person.

It really isn't too big. It feels just right IMO. I have fairly small hands and it was definitely manageable with one hand.

If anything it just emphasised how small my 4S is. It still feels kind of stubby a few hours after playing with the 5.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'll get used to it as that's what we're stuck with for the next two years until they shrink the wasted space at the top and bottom in the iPhone 6.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

agreed. The next thing will be making the phone as much screen real-estate as possible while either keeping the same form factor or going even smaller with the non-screen space (decreasing form factor w/ 4" screen).... maybe even getting rid of the physical home button

21. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

This made me lol. Remember all the threads on how the iphone 3gs,4,4s were too small? :D

22. Coleman2010 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's a phone. I like using a phone with one hand. If they had made it any wider it requires two. There is no way I'd use a 2 handed phone.

----------

I've had the iPhone 5 for about 24 hours. I'll have to wait and see how I feel once I've had it a few days. But every time I look at it I think big phone. :p

23. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

You think iPhone 5 is big? LOL. It's tall, but still falls short in width.

Try having a HOX or S3 for a few weeks. You'll see how small 5 is.

24. Chic0 macrumors 6502

This

lol