iPhone 5, it screams. Do you agree?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eezing, Sep 22, 2012.

1. eezing, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Anyone else like their new iPhone 5? Hard to tell considering all the negative threads in this forum.

I've tested pretty much all the features iPhone 5 and iOS 6 have to offer and I gotta say:

- Lightening fast
    - LTE, do I even need Wifi anymore?
    - Voice to text is damn near spot on
    - Turn-by-turn presentation is the best I've seen and GUI is extremely user friendly. Seriously top notch.
    - Camera blows my iPhone 4 out of the water
    - Light weight
    - Screen is beautiful and media takes advantage of the longer screen
    - Deleted my old crappy sports apps, use Siri now
    - Sound quality of a phone call is light years beyond the iPhone 4
    - No dropped calls!
    - Looks beautiful

- Oh and lightening fast, did I already say that?

So, anyone else like their new iPhone 5?

Edit (additional):

- Ah yes, earphones are huge leap forward
    - Spotify no longer quits between car rides do to added RAM

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Maybe if there were no data caps LTE could replace wifi. Dont see that happening ever though

3. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Absolutely love my new black iPhone 5. Best iPhone I've ever had.

4. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Agree 100% however I don't see any real improvement in voice quality. It's average, as in typical for AT&T. Not horrible, but nothing to write home about either.

On the other points I completely agree. iPhone 5 is a beast!

And I'm jealous of your LTE, nothing around here, I settle for HSPA+. :D

5. longhorns172006 macrumors member

longhorns172006

Yes! I sold my 4 about 1.5 months ago before price dropped too much and I was using a 3G. But I have been comparing it to my wife's 4 and my friends 4s and there is NO comparison.

6. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I agree. I'm using my wifi at home, but seriously considering just using LTE. I'm anxiously awaiting more apps to optimize for the larger screen. Some just look ridiculous.

7. longhorns172006 macrumors member

longhorns172006

And the headphones are much better than I anticipated. Used to people could barely hear me and these they say they couldn't even tell I wasn't talking to them regular. And the speakers are so much better as well.

8. dnest macrumors regular

dnest

No LTE in Orlando for Sprint, but just on wifi this this is fast.

9. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

my LTE is literally faster than my wifi at home lol

10. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Yes but at least your home connection doesn't have a 3/6/10GB cap right? :D

11. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

lol that is true. I was just amazed by how fast. its only 2-5 mbps faster but thats impressive! specially going from 3G speeds.

my 4s on iOS 6 : "siri open facebook..................................... ok , let me check.................................. almost there.......................... facebook opens

Iphone 5 : "siri , open faceb.. Facebook opens lol

12. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

This is why a lot of people chose to pay the extra $450 and buy the phone at full retail to keep unlimited data. :D

I sold my iPhone 4 to my dad for $150, so in the end, I only shelled out $300 extra to keep unlimited and not sign a contract.

13. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

Grandfathered here (limited only by the arbitrary cap).

14. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Yes I've heard this but AT&T still starts a throttle at 5GB correct? I wonder how serious the throttle will be on LTE versus previous ones?

15. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

I know, right? Blows my mind every time.

16. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I've seen posts from AT&T users with varying experiences. I have Verizon. To my knowledge, it's true unlimited and they do not throttle.

17. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Fortunately I have unlimited AT&T, but I still have to be careful. Throttling would be equivalent to no data once I'm used to the blazing speed of LTE.

18. ek9max macrumors regular

I'm also jealous of your lte. My work is on the edge of lte coverage and my home is out of range.

I don't care so much about home as I'm on wifi. But at work lte works 15 feet away when I'm outside. But only 3G when I'm inside. :(

19. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I stil have unlimited data, if you had it before and don't anymore , that's your own fault.

Love this phone so much. Went from 3GS to this

----------

They don't thottle too much anymore. I have unlimited and I went over. 4gb and they didn't slow me down. Before, they were slowing me down after 2gb

20. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Coming from a ip2g, I love my ip5. It's absolutely amazing.

21. beem4520 macrumors member

Agree 100%

LTE screams. First time ever using it for me. Faster than home or work.

Coverage of course iffy. Thought about aimlessy driving around testing LTE

22. whitesand macrumors regular

I agree 100%....The new Iphone 5:apple: is lightening fast! Our apps load and are available to use instantly....I almost couldn't believe it when I first used it.

----------

forgot to mention the call quality is UNBELIEVABLE!

23. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

Yep. For what it's worth, I went in to the Verizon Wireless store just to discuss/confirm this option, and they argued with me for 10 minutes (when they didn't even have any iPhone 5s in stock) about how this was a terrible decision on my part because I wouldn't use up my data cap and I was wasting my money. I noted to them that although my iPhone consumption is low presently, this is primarily because their 3G data speeds suck and I regularly burn my iPad's cap over LTE. They scoffed that I would simply be waisting my iPad data plan if I retained unlimited over my iPhone too. I didn't really know how to respond to that, as it was so idiotic that it became clear to me at that point they were probably reciting points off a memo from corporate rather than participating in a real discussion.

They were also pissed to learn that I didn't have a shared plan even though I have an iPad. I just pay the $20 for data via the iPad separate from my wireless plan. I told them I didn't see any advantage in switching since my iPhone + iPad data plan come out to only $85 (iPhone: $40 calling, $30 unlimited data, $5 text plus corporate discount + iPad: $20 for 1GB), which was $15 less than their cheapest "shared" plan (which restricts you to 4GB across all devices), and protected the unlimited data I am grandfathered into on my phone. At that revelation, they became visibly annoyed.

So, if you wanted any anecdotal evidence that Verizon has directed employees to steer customers to shared plans and off unlimited data, there you go. And if you needed any further evidence that the new plans are calculated to screw consumers, there you go too.

A one time outlay of $450 for the piece of mind to have unlimited LTE data for two years? Seems like a no brainer to me if you can afford it. If your data consumption ends up below the cap levels, then great and you can just upgrade the next time. If not, then you've protected your unlimited data plan.

Once I have the iPhone 5, I need to look into tethering options. I suspect it makes more sense to have no data plan on my iPad and tether via the unlimited LTE data on my iPhone, which I could also then use with my MacBook. I know there was recently an FCC decision about this on Verizon, which I assume benefits users.

24. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Just come over to AT&T. They let you upgrade and keep the unlimited plan, no matter how much you pay for the phone.

25. Prise macrumors regular

Absolutely...

In my area, it is really fast. Matter of fact, much faster than my wifi. We've got ATT LTE here, and I'm seeing download speeds of greater than 22 MB per second.

It is absolutely amazing.