iPhone 5 Japanese Carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jjaro, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Jjaro macrumors regular

Jjaro

Did anyone catch if NTT Docomo now carries the iPhone 5? Honestly, I doubt it, they have been fighting with Apple for a while, but I would like to know. If not, I am totally switching to au by KDDI, SoftBank sucks! Thanks!

2. naktak macrumors member

I'm in the same line of thought as you. I'll never use Softbank again.

Docomo won't offer the iPhone so there are a few choices: AU, sim-free through Docomo, or b-mobile.

One of the three new iPhone 5 models supports LTE on Docomo, so I'm probably going to do that. The only question I have left is whether Docomo will let me make a contract with a U.S. bought iPhone. The sim-free iPhones in Japan are ridiculously expensive.

3. Jjaro thread starter macrumors regular

Jjaro

That's a good idea! My girlfriend is giving me crap for wanting to switch from SoftBank lol. Can you please let me know what happens? I think I may go into a Docomo store myself soon and ask as well. I'll post the results here too.

4. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

To use an unlocked iPhone 5 on DoCoMo, though, you'll need a nano SIM. Do you know if DoCoMo offers those?

5. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

The Galaxy S3 uses nano sim. And the S3 is on docomo.

So it points towards them supporting it, but Samsung probably have 50 versions of the S3 to be fine tuned to every carrier's preference.

I too am feeling the urge to leave SoftBank, too many times I have been to crowded events and can rely on never being able to place a call or have any data transmission or even get an SMS out! Spoke to one of my clients who went over to AU and he says he has never had a time he couldn't make a call or access data, even in Tokyo Dome.

But, he says the voicemail doesn't work correctly. It always gets saved on AU's voicemail system, never locally on the phone. And being able to replay and save Voicemails can be useful. Supposedly it will work properly soon, but that has been the story for the last year of them offering IPhones.

6. naktak macrumors member

Well, after a little surfing, it appears that NTT Docomo doesn't offer nano-sims ATM.

After some further reading, it appears that Softbanks new LTE networks will be up and running soon. I hate Softbank with a passion (horrible customer service on top of subpar networks - I'm lucky to get through a call at home without it cutting out), but I wonder if connectivity will improve with the new networks. Still, I want to leave Softbank sooooo bad :mad:

I really don't want to use CDMA networks either. The only other option I haven't looked into yet is to see if there are cutters available to slim Docomo's micro-sim card down to size. I've heard that they are available in Hong Kong but haven't checked.

Damn Japan's carriers :mad:

7. Sincci, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

Sincci macrumors regular

Apparently there is a reason why NTT Docomo doesn't carry iPhone:

According to this site (only in japanese, sorry): Apple wants NTT Docomo to open all their patents on mobile technologies (which they do have A LOT) for them for free (which everyone else has to pay) and in exchange NTT can carry iPhone. For understandable reasons, this is not a reasonable request, so NTT won't support the iPhone unless Apple drops their demands on NTT's patents.

@prvt.donut: Galaxy S3 doesn't use nano sim, it uses microsim like iPhone 4 and 4S.

8. Jjaro thread starter macrumors regular

Jjaro

Well, the voicemail thing doesn't bother me that much, and SoftBank just sucks sooooo bad, I'm willing to do without it for a little while. I'll just have to remember to check every once in a while. I'm not going to switch right away though, as I said. Expensive! Lol.

----------

Why would you not want to use a CDMA network? And dude, I seriously doubt that SoftBank will get better, even with LTE. They are like the AT&T of Japan.

9. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

That's weird, because my client bought an unlocked S3 from HK and the SIM was too small for the SIM from his iphone4.:confused:

10. Jjaro thread starter macrumors regular

Jjaro

Hmmm tha is strange. But I thought that the thing was that the iPhone 5 is the first phone to use this new standard, because it was created by Apple, and then approved by the European Union (or Euro something, can't remember exactly, but I did read it here and on Appleinsider). I am gonna try and look into this.

Also, @NakTak, my girlfriend is Japanese, and she has "serious doubts" that Docomo will let us use an iPhone 5 on their network, EVEN if it is unlocked. So be careful before you buy bro. She's telling me not to even ask (typical Japanese, so conservative! Lol) but I am going to anyway. The way I see it, what's the harm? They say no, then they say no. I am not worried about it, lol.

11. naktak macrumors member

I don't see why they wouldn't allow people to use the iPhone 5 on their networks. I can understand if they wouldn't allow someone to make a contract with an iPhone bought overseas because of the lack of the camera sound. But even that has been bypassed before with the 4s. I agree though, it doesn't hurt to ask :). I haven't seen anything yet from Docomo saying they won't allow it. To me, the main issue is whether I can get my hands on a micro-sim cutter.

12. Jjaro thread starter macrumors regular

Jjaro

Well, you COULD just use a dremel tool, just be VERY careful! Lol.

13. aussieinjapan macrumors member

Docomo has sim only plans now. Just walk into any docomo shop and ask for a sim card. I'm using an Australia HTC sensation on their network. I pay a little bit more than I was with soft bank. They opened up their network to sim free phones this March - some services don't work but its OK cause they are just crapware

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But no nano SIM at this point, according to the posts above.

15. Jjaro thread starter macrumors regular

Jjaro

So, just get a SIM card, cut it down, and put it in an iPhone 5, and it should work with Docomo's network? Including their eventual adoption of LTE, etc?

16. naktak macrumors member

Docomo's LTE network is already up and running. Softbank's is supposed to be up and rolling this Autumn.

17. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Really?

I did the preorder today and they said that iPhone 5 packet hodai will be ¥6000 a month up from the old ¥4000 a month because of the LTE service.

If they don't have it up and running before they are charging for the LTE service????:eek: Well f#*% them!:mad:

18. naktak macrumors member

Ahh, yes, supposedly they will have their LTE networks up by launch day.

19. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

:cool: LOL rolling out LTE to coincide with the new iPhone launch...

Apple has them by the balls!

20. ruckleapple macrumors member

The website seems to say that the packet hodai will be going up from 4410yen to 5460 (though I've been paying 4200). Still rubbish but not quite as bad a a 2000 yen hike.

21. ShaolinX macrumors member

So Softbank remains the only option for the iPhone 5, right? I'll be travelling to Japan later on this fall and I was wondering about that. Thanks for the info, guys!

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

If non-iPhone carriers don't start stocking nano-sims I can see the cloning SIM cards to nano-sims being a rising gray market business soon.

23. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Nope, AU sells iPhone 5 too.

Docomo sells Sim cards for iPhone service too.

The problem will be doing a Sim card service on a pay as you go basis.

When my brother last visited Japan with his fully officially unlocked iPhone, Softbank told us to get the F out of there before they called the police (not exactly true, but that was the customer service experience we walked out with).:eek:

Maybe this year they have opened up.

24. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

in the past the carrier charged you to hell with data packets when you don't have a "japanese" phone ... they can identify that on the device ID and simply don't apply the data flat rate ... not sure if this is still the case but better be carefully. more hints here: http://www.japanmobiletech.com