iPhone 5 jumping Wi-Fi connection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Damstas, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Damstas macrumors member

Hi!

I just got white iPhone 5. I immediately updated it to iOS 7.
    I previously had black iPhone 5 with iOS 6 and can't remember having this issue.
    I'm pretty close to my Wi-Fi router and the Wi-Fi signal jumps too often between
    3 and 4 bars, so it's not constant on either one.
    I have restored both the iPhone and the router and the problem still persists.

2. Damstas thread starter macrumors member

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

There should be no performance difference between 3 and 4 bars of WiFi.

Are you getting good speeds?

4. Damstas thread starter macrumors member

It sometimes jumps to low as as one bar. When I went to toilet, which is pretty near it slowed to 6M. Normal speed is near 40M.
    And when I went to kitchen, which is near toilet it would't download apps, or would with very slow speed.

5. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If your wifi reception is really different that your previous iPhone, it could be a hardware problem with your phone. My 5s shows full wifi bars all though my house and 4 bars all the way down to the dock.

6. Damstas thread starter macrumors member

Ok.. What router do you have? I have Thomson TWG-870. So I am not sure if it's that my router is bad. Did they change anything related to Wi-Fi or showing how much signal you have on iOS 7?

7. billycuth macrumors 6502a

that's odd. my wifi icon only has (and has only ever had) 3 bars. All the way back to my ipod touch.

8. Damstas thread starter macrumors member

Sorry. My mistake, there are only 3 bars total. But the issue is still the same. The connection jumps.

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Lol! Looking again mine has three bars. If you wifi worked well with a previous device it should do the same with your new one. I am using a high end NetGear model that was rated very high for power output. Location is important and my unit resides in the loft which also would help.

10. Damstas thread starter macrumors member

Hello. Could you guys do a little test.
    Can you guys check for a 2 minute period and atleast 3 meters away from router or behind a wall if your Wi-Fi connection jumps. Just look at the icon. Close apps, lock phone and unlock. Thanks :)

11. Damstas thread starter macrumors member

I need to add that my Wi-Fi drops, if i go to the farthest point of my house. But is this jumping normal on the Wi-Fi, or should it be constantly the same if I'm in the exact same spot?

12. c0LdFire macrumors regular

It could be your phone. That being said, I'd lean towards the router. Try your phone out on another wireless network to be sure.

That router has crappy signal throughput from a quick Google search. You may have a neighbor that's using the same channel, which won't help anything. Consider upgrading. The Asus RT-N66U is fantastic, in particular, but there's a lot of options out there that'd be an upgrade.

13. Damstas thread starter macrumors member

But how often does iPhone 5 in your use go up and down in a static place? Shouldn't it hold the one signal and not vary? If you move that's ok, but in static.