iphone 5 just arrived, the side is scruffed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Sep 21, 2012.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

i have the black one and the side is scruffed. there is a spec. can i return it? does it mean i have to wait until october for a replacement?

2. JoshObra macrumors regular

3. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

4. iChrist macrumors 65816

iChrist

Dude, obviously you have to wait till it is in stock. Small scratches are within spec anyway. Very common.

5. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

hard to accept that.. i can't believe this is normal :( regardless, i made an appointment at apple store to talk about this

6. fatcatvi macrumors newbie

guess what, I got my scuffed iPhone 5 replace today, but the replacement has a 2.5 cm scratch on the screen. Gotta go back to Apple store again!

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear about your problems at least you have an Apple store that's not 4 hours away

8. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

What?? If I pay for a new product I want new not an iScuff. Same thing with brand new cars. 0 miles 0 scratches. Nobody should settle for that crap.

----------

That's ridiculous I would be pissed.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Yep, Apple replaced one for me that had 1/2" scratches by the Apple logo. The new one is better. The scratches are between 1/4" to 1/8th". A bit deeper, can be felt with finger nail.

Since this appears to be normal I'm caving in & covering it with a case. I don't think it's possible to avoid scratches unless you use a case.

Oh well...

10. Bobeder9 macrumors member

If you are putting a case on it will you ever see some scuff marks or tiny scratches? If you aren't using a case you will get marks like that in a matter of days from normal wear. A scratch on the screen is a different story and I would think you would inspect that in the store prior to leaving.

Regardless, it doesn't make it right but this could be a sign of how fragile the finish is for normal handling if these issues are surfacing for the initial batch just coming through the assembly line.