iPhone 5: Just trying to play catch-up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmonandslam, Sep 12, 2012.

1. cmonandslam macrumors newbie

Anyone else feel like the iPhone 5 was devoid of anything new? It feels like Apple is just realizing that everyone else is stepping their game up when it comes to phones and they're just trying to play catch-up now.

I mean, whats in the iPhone 5 that hasn't been done before already? Phones from a year ago have a higher resolution than the iPhone 5, dual core is nothing new especially with quad core processors becoming more common place, and it still lacks things like NFC and still clings to proprietary ports. Not to mention, 4 inch screens have been done years ago. The iPhone 5 is just yesterdays news sold today.

At least the iPhone 4 actually tried to innovate. With phones like the HTC One X, the Galaxy S3 and even the old Galaxy Nexus available, it feels like Apple is just rushing in to try to stay relevant when it comes to mobile phones. Hell, the iPhone 5 is probably still behind the curve still. The new Nexus line being announced soon will probably blow the water out of the iPhone 5.

Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone 4, but the 5 looks like a huge disappointment, especially with all the much better phones available. I don't see a single reason to buy it over, say, a GSIII when the latter trumps it in every single way possible.

2. THEAnonymous macrumors member

That's one of the downfalls to Apple's 1-phone-per-year cycle; they will of course have to play catch up to the constant churn of new Android (and now WP) phones where it seems that a new model is announced every year.

I think the iPhone 5 is a GREAT phone overall, but it's nothing NEW, exciting, different or revolutionary (apart from the exterior I guess) - and that's why I think numerous people aren't too pleased with this new model.