iPhone 5 kickstand

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
With the addition of the larger screen on the iPhone 5, I really hope it comes with a kickstand like most android phones. Just imagine how awesome it would be to not have to hold your phone when watching a movie on a plane. What do you guys think of this idea?

iphone4s16gb

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
i dont like 4 inch screen , keep a same screen is cool ...

why people want apple release big screen and bigger size ,
more bigger is not easy grab or put in your pocket ...

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Awful! My Evo had one, hated it and there is no definitive knowledge that a larger screen is coming,

crashdebris

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
Boomer! Sooner!
I would think the case makers for the iPhone 5 will be better suited to handle this need. Most users use a case of some sort and the case would cover the built in stand in most cases.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
With the addition of the larger screen on the iPhone 5, I really hope it comes with a kickstand like most android phones. Just imagine how awesome it would be to not have to hold your phone when watching a movie on a plane. What do you guys think of this idea?
I wouldn't say "most" but there are a few (3, maybe 4, HTC models).

The problem is that the phone's casing has to be thicker to allow the kickstand to sit flush when not pulled out. I'd rather buy a case with a kickstand on it (my son has one on his iP4) than have a thicker phone.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Real fun was putting the phone in my pocket, then the kickstand popping out and getting caught on the lining, so I'd get to stand there looking like an idiot trying to get my phone out to use the damn thing!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Never. Just add it to a crappy case. Steve would roll over in his grave at the thought.....

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Never. Just add it to a crappy case. Steve would roll over in his grave at the thought.....
Yeah, he's dead and gone so no need to worry about what he would think.

That being said a kickstand is the dumbest thing ever on a phone. I would not buy an iPhone if it had a kickstand attached.

readerbreader

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
it's just extra unnecessary hardware that is just one more potential for damage, and accident prone people to complain about. Not to mention that it would add to the overall thickness to the phone.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
You could make an impromptu kickstand out of some cardboard if the need really struck you.

Also, replacing iPhone with iPad:

With the larger screen on the iPad, I really hope it comes with a kickstand. Just imagine how awesome it would be to not have to hold your iPad when watching a movie on a plane. What do you guys think of this idea?
Imagine if the iPad came with little feet on it that would flip out like on keyboards. And then imagine how often they break. And how tacky it would look like on the iPad, and finally, there are first and third party accessories that provide the functionality if you want it.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I had a kickstand on three of my android phones. Useless appendage.

I'm not sure what everyone is whining about how a 4inch screen will make a phone unpocketable. You are talking half an inch of overall length and less than half an inch to width.

Most of the four inch screens I've seen make better use of the face of the phone (look at an android phone, you won't find much space on the front not taken by the screen). The iPhone on the other hand has swaths of space on the front, I would submit there is room for a four inch screen with out growing the phone into a brick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.