iPhone 5 Lens Cover uneven or tilted

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by modest serving, Sep 24, 2012.

1. modest serving macrumors member

I received my pre-order black iPhone 5 on launch day (9/21/2012). I love it!

However, I noticed that when I pull the iPhone 5 out of my pocket there is often lint sticking out of the lens cover for the iSight on the back. This morning upon closer inspection, I noticed that the lens cover is slightly tilted downwards.
    It is visible to the eye, but it is especially noticeable when you run a finger across it. I notice that the top of the lens cover is completely flush while the bottom is slightly less than flush. It is tilted inward, below the surrounding glass.

Does anyone else notice this? Is it perhaps just how it is designed? Now that I've noticed it, it bugs me.

2. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

take it in to an Apple store to get it replaced or call 800-APL-CARE to get it replaced

3. modest serving thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. :) I know that I can take it in to be replaced, but my question still stands: What do others notice about their iPhone 5's? Is the camera lens completely flush?

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If you're looking to hear that it's tilted by design, you won't.

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

sits flush. lenses inside rattle around a bit, but otherwise flush.

6. modest serving thread starter macrumors member

Do you think it is worth setting up a genius bar appt. for? Also, I wonder if they have stock set aside for iPhone repairs/replacement.

7. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Trying to decide the same thing... Mine is tilted in slightly at the top. There's no functional issue (should have no impact on image quality as the cover is not actually a lens), but it is a spot for dirt to get trapped in and definitely a defect. Everything else about the phone is perfect, including the best screen uniformity I've ever seen on an iPhone, so I'm probably going to wait and see if it really does start collecting gunk.

As far as stock I'm pretty sure the stores usually keep some just for replacements during launch. They might be in those "replacement" boxes but it's impossible for them to be refurbs this early.

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

How do you know? I say random crap all the time!

Seriously, at least stop in a store to compare yours to others on display and go from there.

9. modest serving thread starter macrumors member

Well I have an appointment this Thursday at the Apple Store to check it out. Compared to my wife's iPhone 5, my iP5's lens is definitely recessed at the bottom, resulting in a slight tilt. It just bugs me. So, we'll see what the genius says on Thursday. Am I crazy for caring? To me this is worse than scratching or scuffing.

10. modest serving thread starter macrumors member

I went to a Genius Bar appointment and after waiting 45 minutes a genius replaced my iPhone 5. In fact he replaced another one at the same time. He handled both of our cases simultaneously with an iPad away from the Genius Bar.

I'm happy with my replacement. He said it was a brand new phone, not a refurb. However, I inspected the replacement iPhone in store and I found a knick in the beveled edge and a scrape about 1cm long on the side of the iPhone. I decided that I'd rather have a couple of scrapes than a recessed camera lens. Once I got home and had it under better light I found dust under the lens. So overall I'm disappointed but I'm 99% satisfied with my device and its not worth the hassle to get a another replacement. I think there are definite quality control issues with the new iPhone, though.