iPhone 5 Lens Defect? You be the judge..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drakehoe, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Drakehoe macrumors newbie

This looks like its kind of a transparent scuff on the lens. However, upon further investigation, it's definitely either on the inside or within the lens cover itself. Something like this would actually affect optic image quality. Apple should swap this for me, right?

[​IMG]

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, that's an internal fault and it's bound to show up in pictures..A swap out is required here. I've inspected mine and there isn't a mark on it.

3. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

They will give you a new iPhone with no fuss.

4. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

What do pictures look like? Just curious. (ones taken with the phone not of the phone)

5. Drakehoe thread starter macrumors newbie

They look fine. Thing is though, with something this transparent and so close to the sensor, I'm guessing it would likely just diffuse the light incorrectly. You wouldn't see much of the artifact itself. It's not like it would look obstructed. Only way to tell is if I take a pic on 2 iP5's at the same time and compared apples to apples.

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure the artifact will affect images taken in the dark, pointing at a bright light source. I had something similar with my iPhone 4 after I had the back replaced. The artifact was so small I couldn't even see it, but the Genius who cleaned the sensor for me said there was a small artifact. So an artifact this obvious will definitely affect your pictures in a negative way.

Go get it exchanged.

7. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

Yeah that's not good. Mine already has a speck of dust behind the outer camera lens too :(

8. Tm526 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same issue, what appears to be a small scuff on the inside of the lens. Will be bringing it back.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That looks like an easy swap, no questions asked type of issue.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That's gotta be a manufacturing defect. This is what iFixit's lens looked like after attacking it with tools and sandpaper:

[​IMG]

11. bova80 macrumors 6502a

seems I have the same issue with my lens, just not as bad as yours. mine seems to have dust under it as well.

not the best pic but I circled the areas.

taking it into apple today to see what they say.

Attached Files:

12. Surrylic macrumors regular

Thanks for the pic, that's wild! Makes me feel better about the lens because I was always worried about setting my 4 on it's back and scratching the lens (backplate not so concerned about).

OP - some things I've been seeing on this forum I think people are either crazy or just babies for returning their phone over... This is not one of those though :p pictures and videos are a super important part of an iPhone experience and that artifact is bad news. Swap her!

13. bova80 macrumors 6502a

had my appointment at apple today, they replaced the phone but the replacement one had the same issue, so then they replaced that one and it was flawless. surprised they had some replacements in stock.

14. JJJosh41 macrumors regular

I have the same exact issue. Looks nearly identical. I've been freaking out today because I thought I did it but the outside of the lens is completely scratch free. I'm glad they did a swap for you. Made an appointment for tomorrow morning. :)

15. dazex macrumors member

Yeah, the sapphire crystal lens is good.

Better watches makes their glass out of quartz and sapphire too to prevent scratches. So it was a good move to use sapphire to help reduce the vertical requirement for a good camera.

Wish the rest of the glasses were as durable. :)

One thing I saw was that the white rear iPhone glass were ceramic while the black iPhone was pigmented glass. Wonder which is better in terms of durability?