iPhone 5 lens scratched out of box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dirrrty, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Dirrrty macrumors newbie

I've had my iPhone 5 for a week now, but the other night I noticed a mark on the camera lens. I've been babying this phone so I can't understand how the lens got scratched. When I move it in the light, I can't even see any marks or hairline scratches, which causes me to believe the scratch/crack or something might be on the inside of the lens. It might even be a piece of plastic shaving or something stuck in there.

I can't see how I scratched it if ifixit couldn't even scratch it with sandpaper.

Anyways, is this bordering on OCD? Or should I get a replacement tomorrow?

Attached Files:

2. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

4. Dirrrty thread starter macrumors newbie

actually, everything not on the lens is just dust. The phone had a few minor dings out of the box on the edges of the screen, but VERY minor. It's just the lens I'm worried about

5. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

The camera lens cover ought to be mighty tough to scratch since it's made of sapphire glass.

6. Dirrrty thread starter macrumors newbie

7. vankenn macrumors newbie

I just noticed it on mine. Got it 2 days ago. Seem to be scratched on the inside. I hate returning it and have to wait 3-4 weeks for a replacement unit. Wondering if the scratch have any effects on the photos.

8. bova80 macrumors 6502a

mine had that issue as well as dust, got it replaced and the first replacement they brought out had that issue too, so they brought out another and it was flawless.

get it replaced. the stores seem to have tons of replacements so there shouldnt' be any waiting.

9. olsiris macrumors newbie

My new iPhone 5 has a small mark on lens, looks like a spec of dust but does not wipe off so is definitely on the inside. I took it to the genius bar and they took it apart and cleaned it but the mark was still there. They offered a replacement, but i noticed this also has a mark on the lens. They offered another replacement, which looked okay, except there was a scratch on aluminium side.
    They said they had no others so had to order me a replacement. I feel like I'm being fussy, but when you hear how the phone is "measured to the micron" you expect it to be pretty flawless in terms of cosmetics. Not to mention the price you pay!

10. vankenn macrumors newbie

First iphone had a ding near the volumn control, 2nd one have a scratch on the inside of the camera lense. I took both iphone 5 back to the store and they replaced both with 2 brand new and looked flawless. Took an hour but well worth it.

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I had an 11 month old iP4 replaced due to a speck of dust under the front camera lens. Genius said it shouldn't happen as a sealed unit, apologised hugely, and gave me a replacement phone.

Pretty much nailed on replacement

12. AznD85 macrumors newbie

Verizon iPhone 5 Black 32GB: Week 37

Scratch and dent. Ordered through Verizon telesales. Waiting for them to process and send the exchange.

13. visionmag macrumors newbie

iphone 5 camera lens Glue and Alien Particles

I got my iphone 5 from Singtel in Singapore. The showroom is beautiful like a cinema setting with dim light.

When i got my camera, i did not see anything wrong with it under the dark ambiance. The next morning under bright light. I realize there are 3 pieces of foreign particles in the lens. I inspect it under magnifying glass and suspect it is "glue".

Went back to Singtel, they gave me a replacement with a box label " Service - QC ". They claim it is a brand new phone. When open up. Oh dear, the lens also got scratches in the internal lens.

Then next, open another box, i was shock to see the protective tapes are all finger prints and there are air bubbles between the tape & the phone. This time the camera lens are ok.

I am totally disappointing with such an expensive and premium phone in such a bad quality control that release to the consumer.

Singtel customer and technical support at the HQ are sucks and inefficient. They can't even answer my question or replace an error free phone.

Attached Files:

14. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Sorry you had issues with your phones, but it sounds like this particular phone quoted was problem free. No need to be upset about air bubbles and fingerprints on something you are going to remove anyway.

15. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

From the pictures, It's getting more reasonable to just buy the white iPhone, the iPhone 5 black is just scuffed from the looks of things. Add the lens debacle and you have a double problem