iPhone 5 Lightning Connector Touchy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hotsauce, Sep 21, 2012.

1. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

While syncing to my Mac, I nudged the table a little and it disconnected and beeped as if it was just reconnected. I thought that was strange so I wiggled the connector a little bit and that was enough to disrupt the connection. Anybody else experience this? The smaller lightning connector appears to be very sensitive to movement. With the old dock connector, I could just about swing the device like a hammer throw without it ever losing connection.

2. jourabchid macrumors newbie

i had a simliar issues but it was the usb port and not the actual lightning connector, if i even typed on my mbp it would disrupt the syncing or charge.

3. goodmove macrumors member

Same happened to me, until I noticed I had not pushed the connector all the way in. Once properly connected, no problems. I prefer this over the old connector.

4. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Does it use magnets? Like the magsafe just curious?

5. tokiidokii macrumors regular

i love the new connector. the reversible aspect is something that should have been done A LONG time ago (looking at you mini/micro usb). but yea the connector is super small. i didn't think how small it was going by the pictures but when i finally saw it, i was very surprised.

feels very sturdy too. plugged in. unlike micro usb. i always feel like those usb connectors will just break by themselves lol.

6. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

will have to check that. Still have yet to plug my phone in. On since 10am and still kicking at 21% (been on computer since 3 though)

7. goodmove macrumors member

Don't think so. You actually need to push it in to connect, unlike magsafe where it practically connects itself.

8. milk242 macrumors 6502a

No problem with either my 2008 Mac Pro or 2012 MacBook Air

9. hotsauce thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a very sleek connector no doubt but very sensitive. Maybe I've been spoiled by the robust dock connectors of the past. I do see this as a potential problem for connections in automobiles, or maybe not...

10. Gregg10 macrumors newbie

Me Too

I was just thinking the same thing, it is the usb side that is very sensitive. I love the lightning connector though. Very solid feeling, and I can plug it in in the dark without worrying which side is up!
    I will play around with the usb plug in a bit, it is charging right now and if I even barely move it it disconnects and reconnects to I tunes. better leave it alone so I can have enough battery left for the evening!!!!

11. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Same, but with the USB end, originally it wouldn't pick it up until I wiggled the USB end in the iMac. Been fine since though!

I love the connector though, so much better than the older one!