iPhone 5 Losing Cellular constantly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macguy11, Oct 10, 2012.

1. macguy11 macrumors member

I live in the Los Angeles area where the AT&T coverage is good for LTE as well as 3G. My new iphone 5 will lose connectivity to the network at least 4-5 per day and say no service for 1-2 minutes then come back at full bars. This is not happening when moving around or anything but just at random times.

Is this a known problem for iPhone 5 / iOS6? Or do I have a defective device?

2. ThatGirlFA macrumors newbie

Same here!

I also live in LA and when the LTE works, its great. But I often lose cell service for minutes at a time. This happens randomly and in spots where I normally get service. I had NO problems like this when I had my iPhone 4, it's only since upgrading to the 5.
    Also, sometimes my phone says 4G instead of LTE, and when that happens the data basically stops. I'm also on AT&T, but I have never had this issue in the past. Sometimes it takes so long to come back, I am forced to hard reboot my phone, which is annoying.

Any advice or fixes would be great!

3. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Read the other thread? AT&T is having an LTE outage today in the western USA.

4. ThatGirlFA macrumors newbie

thanks, its not only today, though. its been happening since i purchased the phone last month.

5. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

In my area, I only get HSPA+ (or as AT&T likes to call it, "4G"), and I've noticed I've been getting pretty low bars whereas I usually get full bars everywhere. It seems like it was fine when I first got it, but now I'm lucky to get 4 bars outdoors or 1-3 indoors. This isn't the same as your problem but it's still a connectivity issue, and I have no idea what's causing it. Luckily I'm doing a color swap so hopefully the replacement won't have the same issue.

6. coryndiego macrumors regular

coryndiego

I have also noticed the faulty switching between 4G & LTE and dropped calls since using my iPhone5...but today is definitely a bigger issue. I'm hoping that apple will update ios6 soon and fine tune the switching of antennas. A similar issue occurred with my iphone 3G but was quickly corrected.

Today, I've seen "No Service" at least 20 times and had text/iMessages affected. Also a couple calls bumped to voicemail with no ring.
    Other threads from across the West are reporting AT&T LTE outages too.

7. AdrainSingapore macrumors member

Well I live in singapore at an area where there isn't good 3G coverage so I turned off cellular settings. It usually appears 5 bars but at random times it goes to 4 bars and BAM!, no service, I had to turn airplane mode on an off for it to connect back, I think it is a software issue and will be fixed in the upcoming rumored iOS 6.0.1 firmware

8. bluerocka macrumors newbie

I've been having this problem recently too, except I'm on the east coast! Anyone else on this side of the country having issues?

9. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

This particular issue with AT&T was resolved after a few hours.

10. jediistar macrumors 6502

I'm on the east coast and I notice it as well, specifically when it drops to 4G for phone calls, coming back from phone calls seems to be problematic. I'm in South Florida and it looks according to BGR rumors that the next update is set to fix this, not sure I can wait that long.

11. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

I had this issue with my preordered 5...I had enough so I returned it. Now awaiting a new one to be delivered early November.

Apple CS was a PITA in the situation too.

12. ThatGirlFA macrumors newbie

Same here. It seems to be particularly bad when I'm on or coming off of a call. With my 4, I had no issues using data/sending texts while talking on the phone, and with my 5 it seems I can rarely do that. Also, as you mentioned when I get OFF a call, it takes ages for the data to resurface.

Since I didnt have these issues before, it MUST be a software problem. It would be great if Apple would mention something. I searched online and found very little info. :-/ I was so excited to upgrade and this is really disappointing!

13. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

I'm in Los Angeles too (particularly Downtown) and my iphone 5 has been great with signal since i got it. My friend told me yesterday that his signal began dropping to "no signal" on and off - he's on sprint btw, and since he told me that my phone began dropping signal too. It happened several times this morning as well but it seems very steady now.

another thing to note, i usually have 3 bars of LTE here at home, yesterday when singal began dropping it didnt go past 5 bars 4G. Now since the issue is gone, I'm up to 5 bars LTE.