IPHONE 5 LTE throttled after 3GB!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scotch021, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Scotch021 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

just wanted to see if anyone else is expercing this problem,

I have the unlimted data plan with IPHONE 5 LTE with AT&T and currently I am at 3.6GB used this month but today my speeds have decreased like crazy.

Orginally using Speedtest app i was getting 24-27Mbps down and 24-25mpbs up with LTE in Tampa, but today im getting around 0.5mpbs down and up.

Is anyone else getting throttled on LTE after only 3GB of use? Getting poor picture quality trying to stream the Ryder Cup.

thanks,

Joe

2. Jamoses macrumors newbie

This is sort of expected unfortunately. If you have an unlimited AT&T data plan they will start throttling you at 5GB, so I'm not sure why you would be throttled at 3GB...might want to call them on that http://news.yahoo.com/official-t-throttle-unlimited-data-plan-215738783.html

3. Tarp09GT macrumors member

4. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Make sure that AT&T has you on their "LTE" plan for iPhone 5, and doesn't mistakenly have you on the 4S data plan. The latter plan may still allow access to LTE (people tried it last year by moving SIMs onto other phones with LTE support), but it will be provisioned to throttle after 3GB. Also check online and on the device to see how much data it thinks you used.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

dude read, he says that in his post

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hes probably confused because he said this is expected, then goes to say he shouldnt be throttled..

8. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Same thing happened to me on AT&T...for a 2 month period my phone was running so terribly slow because they were throttling me, though I never received a text or anything about it. I would tether using a jailbreak app to my laptop so that would eat a lot of data. Then, without warning, AT&T moved me to a 3GB plan without my permission and when I called to complain and get my unlimited data back, the informed me that if I didn't call within a month of them moving me off unlimited data, there was no way to get it back. I talked to the supervisor, complained my ass off, and got a bunch of stuff for free, but they refused to allow my unlimited data back. I was so mad- I know all the ways around tethering and how to not get caught- and they couldn't prove I was tethering, they just didn't like that I was using so much data.

AT&T is just greedy as ****, I moved to Verizon 6GB plan and I couldn't be happier.

9. droeun macrumors member

So you're basically complaining that you got caught stealing? LOL

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm confused. If you are using the unlimited data that you pay for how is that stealing?

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Because you pay for the data plan on the device you are using, not the device you are tethering to. Tethering is a separate charge, which the poster clearly states he was purposely circumventing. The fact that they yanked his unlimted plan and he's complaining is laughable, but that's how the kids are today...the rules don't apply to them, but when they do, they cry that they're entitled to a free pass.

----------

Funny, greedy is pretty much what I'd call someone who backdoor tethers then gets pissy when he's caught.

----------

data speeds fluctuate, and especially when there are 5 million new LTE phones hitting the network. are you sure this low speed isn't just temporary?

12. droeun macrumors member

Because it's unlimited data for use with that one device only, not meant to be shared with any other devices (that's why each phone has it's own individual data plan).

If you're running your phone as a wireless hotspot and allowing others to ride off of your data connection without paying the tethering fee, then that's in clear violation of their policy. Verizon does not have this restriction.

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

they can tell you are tethering.. "all the ways around" LOL they can see if you are using tetherme.. even if it is their own APN.

they send one email to whatever email you have on your main account. it will tell you not to tether and at the bottom it says you have to call and tell them you want to keep your unlimited data..
    you shouldnt have been so greedy and it wouldnt have to. In the contract you signed they can change/cancel anything without notice. The one email is a courtesy.

14. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

15. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

All I'm saying is it's ridiculous people that can't use the data they pay for. Especially when you're using it in moderation. And they actually can't see what you are truly doing, they can only assume. They can see you're pulling down more data per second than is usually possible on a smartphone, but they have no concise evidence that can prove you're tethering.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Obviously not since you we're caught tethering.

17. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I was caught using a lot of data but they never were able to prove indefinitely that I was tethering. That's why it's a mistake by AT&T.