iPhone 5 May be WaterProof as well as Samsung G III

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Article is from Feburary.

Does the S3 have Liquipel?

I think most if not all handheld devices should have some protection from moisture and hard drops and that sort of thing if you ask me!

Why is this not standard? Because companies make more money when you break/drown your phone I guess.

2. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

not sure about Samsung, but pretty sure Motorola phones have been waterproof

3. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Because waterproofing and shock proofing cost extra money and can have adverse effects on the function of the device... but the bottom line is that there is not enough demand for waterproof phones for a lot of people to choose them over non-waterproof phones.

4. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I think most people like waterproof cases to swim with and make underwater vids... From the vids and reviews I seen, liquipel prevents water damage from rain... or accidental drop into water, and not recommended for swimming or used as an underwater camara. If they do treat the iPhone 5 with liquipel... and you want to do underwater vids or swim... I would still consider getting LifeProof or Otterbox armor waterproof case after seeing these videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgrwR84_Zs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbq2d9l8J5A

5. LSUtigers03, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'm going to go put my RAZR MAXX in a bowl of water to check.

ETA: On a completely unrelated note does anyone have a spare phone I can borrow?

6. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

:eek:
    lol

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

a full waterproof phone is asking a little much I think. I have a fully waterproof point and shoot camera and it is really cool but it is also a lot bulkier than other cameras that aren't waterproof but take better pictures.

I'm not against the idea, I just think it's asking a lot. It would drive cost up and increase bulk. Two things most people would be against.

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I really doubt the GSIII has waterproofing. Samsung would have announced it by now.

9. Dobiewonkanobie macrumors regular

From the OP link:
    "Apparently the Liquipel treatment is due to a change on the insurance for the phones – liquid and moisture damage are among the top causes of insurance claims, so waterproofing the phones should change all that." (my underline)

If the application cost is less than the average return rate/cost then this would indeed be a worthy upgrade.

10. gta50419 macrumors 6502

Dumb idea, why make a phone waterproof?
    It's not like you're going swimming with.

11. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

haha.. no need to. there are plenty of videos out there showing this

for those cases when you accidentally spill a drink on it, gets rained on, dropped in a puddle/sink/toilet...

12. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Can't wait to go swimming with my new phone in October. :D