iPhone 5 Metal Back and Wet Wipes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleBoyFreak, Oct 7, 2012.

1. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

I recently bought these wipes made for electronics so I can clean my iPhone 5 and was wondering if they would damage the anodized metal on the iPhone 5. I used them before on my iPad and it worked good without any damage. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Why...? I just wipe mine on my pants or shirt... Works perfectly fine for front and back...

4. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

For many reasons, I'm worried about scratching the phone even though mine hasn't scratched even after rubbing against the metal prongs of the charger, and I ordered a body guards skin and I use the wet wipes to get dust off the phone. Thanks everyone!

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

You'll be fine.. but to be sure maybe, just maybe.. read the directions? ;)

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

A soft cloth slightly damp with warm water is all you need. You aren't going to damage aluminum with a soft cloth unless you put a rock in it. It's good to be careful, but it's silly to be paranoid.

7. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Zeiss is arguably a leader in optics, but I am surprised by how abrasive their wet wipe paper is. It is definitely not a soft cloth, nor does it have fibers to trap small particles. Thus, anything caught in between the cloth and the object you are wiping may scratch the object.

For your phone back, it should be fine. For fine and delicate lenses, I am not so sure. Although I have never noticed any scratches by using them, it doesn't make me feel comfortable about it.

Also, if you look at the ingredients, you'll see it is just a mix of ethyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and probably deionized water. You should be fine. I personally just use a douse of 70% ethyl alcohol on my MBP (keys, trackpad, case, and even the screen if there are spots on it) and it has been fine for 3 years. However, I use it with a microfiber cloth.

8. GenderFi macrumors regular

Sort of a side question on the OP; what about any anti-bacterial sprays, wipes, etc. that would be safe to use on the back of the iPhone 5?