iphone 5 mock up thoughts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zyr123, Jul 12, 2012.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

i am not pleased with the rumors or leaks or what ever they are of the new iphone. taller but not wider just looks terrible.

i am a loyal apple fan but i am going to wait it out till october since my upgrade is then anyhow.

any how the other million people in my position which phones are u thinking of getting?

1 droid nexus s
    2 galaxy 3
    3 rumored razor 2

i have a blackberry bold, the thing is just awful besides the key board theres.

zev,

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If I were to ditch my iPhone, I'd look at the following phones:

1. HTC One X
    2. Galaxy Nexus
    3. Galaxy S3

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am not usually the one to ask why a thread is born, but seriously, this is exactly like a handful of ongoing threads with absolutely nothing more to add. "I don't like that it is taller and not thinner". Join the club. If you are truly interested in what the "millions like you" think, do a quick search. You will get more information there than through responses to this thread, no doubt.

4. TTwardoTT macrumors member

I think its bogus. I have a family friend whose good friend has an Iphone 5 beta model, and gets to beta test all future apple products. His friend won't show him it, but he said its the same design as the 4 and 4s with a bigger screen.

(No one will probably believe this) :apple:

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You are correct, I know I don't believe it.

6. TTwardoTT macrumors member

Family friends' daughter has an Ipod Touch proto that he gave her once he was done using it, I think the story is legit.

He's not allowed to show anyone it, which is why you NEVER see any real images of future Apple products. Only given to highly trusted people. He's been beta testing Apple products for years.

He can't even pull it out in public to use it.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While this might be true, my BS detector is saying otherwise.:p

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I believe that your family friend has a friend who told thim this. But I don't believe this person's friend is telling the truth.If he is going to brag about having the phone, what harm would it do to show it to him as well? We aren't talking pics, we are talking a quick visual. (the answer to that question is that it would do no more harm than talking about it in the first place).

9. TTwardoTT macrumors member

Maybe he's lying to me and he did actually show him it? Friend probably told him not to say anything about showing him.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Anything is possible. If I were you, I'd rather my friend's friend be liyng to him than my friend be lying to me, but whatever scenario makes you happiest, I guess. :p

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I presently own two of the above, the HTC One X, and the Galaxy S3.

Frankly I must admit that while I planned on buying the S3, I did not plan on buying the One X. However I was in AT&T, held the One X, spent about 40 minutes with one that was activated, and was convinced I wanted it. I'm such an addict. After several years of Androids, the latest models are very impressive.

Don't get me wrong as I really like my iPhone 4S, but for one exception. If not for the tiny screen I would be quite satisfied.

Being the true Apple enthusiast I am, I have no problem admitting I am greatly disappointed at what appears to be the likely display size and shape, on the upcoming model.

If this longer, but same screen width prediction comes true, I will be one very discouraged iPhone customer. It will be the first time in years, that I've not upgraded to the latest model iPhone. And that is a terrible change.

12. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

For me, I'll purchase the new iPhone 5. No matter if its just a bit taller (Hope not wider) as long as the iPhone 5 has an advanced SIRI, with perhaps a better camera with the Apple GPS mapping/iOS 6 improvements, than I'm all for it. ;)

I do not like the Android wider form factor that is not comfortable to hold for me over what is now available from Apple. You may want it wider, but I would not. Its not a toy for me, but a tool. :D

PS: I am not now, nor will ever be a cell phone enthusiast. .....

13. TTwardoTT macrumors member

Ya it seemed like he didn't even want to tell me his friend had one. I just happen to mention I wanted the design of the iphone 5 to be the tear drop shape and all he said was "It's not". I thought he was being an jerk at first, but I asked how he knew and thats when he said his friend had one.

I guess we will just have to see when it comes out.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Errr... is this to imply that everyone that wants a wider phone considers the phone a toy, not a tool? That's some erroneous logic, if so.

15. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I think having the phone not wider at all & taller, will more than likely look strange. If they would just expand the width a few MM's it would be perfect. Either way I'll still be buying it, odd looking or not.

16. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I still can't figure out what they're planning on doing with that extra vertical space. Also, one helluva lot of apps will have to be re-written for little benefit.

17. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

My next phone will be either the rumored iPhone 5 or the rumored new Nexus (which could be several different Nexuses? Nexi? Whatever).

I hate Android skins. It sucks and it is exciting that both my next phone choices don't even exist yet. Well they probably exist but they aren't announced yet.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I agree. I've been thinking the same thing. If they keep the width the same, and stretch it length wise simply to obtain a 4.0" 16:9 aspect ratio, it seems like very little improvement for the cost involved. I cannot imagine the benefit.

19. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I have a beta iPhone 5 as well and I can't tell anyone either sorry guys

20. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Having a wider phone, in my opinion only, is not as comfortable to hold in ones hand and that is my major gripe with it, but as a toy, no, but those that watch movies, play games, having tons of music, than the word TOY fits. ;)

21. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

Ugh, i really don't like the new rumored iPhone design either, just as much as I don't like the current design, if not more. What happened to that aluminum unibody design they were floating around awhile back? I know glass is thinner and lighter but that looked better.

That said! I don't think I could ever buy a non-apple phone though haha

22. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

If I dropped my iPhone, I'd get either the Galaxy Nexus or Droid Incredible 4G LTE. Maybe a GSIII.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Just out of curiosity, which one do you like better the s3 or one x

24. mtcowdog macrumors regular

I think Apple's incremental, once-per-year iPhone and iOS release schedule made more sense when Apple was way out in front. The competition has caught up and even surpassed Apple in some ways. I also like the larger choice of hardware with android. And I think that's why people in an iPhone sub forum are posting about buying alternatives. We may use MacBooks and iMacs and iPads, but the iPhone is no longer a guaranteed upgrade. I am thinking the same thing.

My approach is to wait and see what the next iPhone offers before buying. I am less worried about the size than overall functionality. If Apple doesn't roll out something more interesting with iOS 6 that is announced with the new iPhone, I probably won't buy it. I also hope to check out the next Nexus phone(s), and hopefully there is one for Verizon (only good coverage where I live). I think for android a nexus phone is the only way to go. In the meantime my purchased from eBay used iPhone 4 with a cracked screen works well enough.

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's very close. As one who chooses to stay as neutral as possible, in order to enjoy a variety of brands and platforms. I remain quite open minded.

I've found just when you think you know a brand well, something changes.

Here's an example. I've had about 8 HTC Android smartphones since they began bringing them into the US. Overall I liked the build quality, but found the UI only average at best.

During this period I also tried 7 Samsung phones, which initially weren't the best when it came to call quality. However as time went by and I upgraded as new models were released, they improved significantly.

The introduction of the Galaxy line was a big improvement. The UI is quite good especially on my new S III. Despite all the complaints about how thin the battery door is, it's made out of a very high quality material, has a very well designed, secure closure, so once it's in place there's no creaking or noise that tends to be heard from other phones with battery doors. This is a point that many use to bash the phone about, however I find the high quality plastic case very well done. It feels very nice in hand. Why people complain about it being light, is again, just an excuse to complain.

If I had to choose between the two, the big deciding factor is the SWYPE keyboard. First introduced in the Galaxy S, all Galaxy models come with it, and I've been using it for three years. It's the fastest, most enjoyable input system I've ever used on a touch screen phone. It's so much better than typing on glass, you simply have to experience it for yourself.

SWYPE submitted the software to Apple for consideration (not as an app) , but Apple rejected it. I believe it's because Apple felt threatened by how good and efficient it is. Since Apple didn't invent it, they weren't about to pay to use it.

Once you've used it you'll understand. It's likely that Apple tried to low ball them on the price, and when SWYPE wouldn't cave in to Apple, it got rejected. I cannot imagine any other reason Apple wouldn't want to have it. Many of my friends use Samsungs just because of SWYPE, even though they enjoyed their iPhones prior to switching to Android, Samsung and SWYPE.

So for me, the number one advantage of the Samsung Galaxy Line is SWYPE. I can swype out an email in half the time as compared to an average keyboard like Apple uses on iPhone, and I'm pretty fast on the iPhone keyboard.

Finally they're so close it, comes down to personal preference. Performance is nearly equal, the lack of an expansion card in a negative for HTC. Beyond that you may want to plan on spending some time in an AT&T store trying one that has been activated.

http://www.swype.com/

Hope this helps :)